cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to turn off Lens IS for sports shooting?

coachboz68
Enthusiast

1DXII, EF-70-200 f/2.8/L IS USM II 

When I shoot night football games I use the same camera for full action shots and also the candid moments.  I flip between "Custom" modes for the action shots and candid shots so that on the latter, I have less noise (slower shutter speed, lower ISO), and on those I could use the IS help.  Pretty standard stuff.  Question is on when (if ever) to turn off IS on the lens.  

I typically will shoot min 1/1000 for action.  At that speed, does it matter one way or the other if lens IS is turned on?   If not, I'll just leave it on all the time and not worry about it.  But if it does have a negative effect, I'll have to try and remember to flip it on/off as I go between the two modes.  I am not going to go to a two-camera system, so just trying to figure out the best approach for this situation and set of variables. 

Thanks

Billy 

15 REPLIES 15

cicopo
Elite

I've read that although it likely has no helping effect at those shutter speeds (& I shoot action too) having IS on cuts down on how long it takes for the AF to lock onto the moving targets. I leave mine on (in mode 2) pretty much all the time but I should maybe think of putting it in mode 1 for some of the photos I take. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I've read that although it likely has no helping effect at those shutter speeds (& I shoot action too) having IS on cuts down on how long it takes for the AF to lock onto the moving targets. I leave mine on (in mode 2) pretty much all the time but I should maybe think of putting it in mode 1 for some of the photos I take. 

That's what I read, too, in a few places, which is why I thought I would ask here. 

IS also uses power, so the battery would run low a little slower if you'd turn it off.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"IS also uses power, so the battery would run low a little slower if you'd turn it off."

This is a excellent point that should be considered.  I doubt it makes any difference to a 1DX or Mk II but it could on cameras with lesser batteries.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@coachboz68 wrote:

When I shoot night football games I use the same camera for full action shots and also the candid moments.  I flip between "Custom" modes for the action shots and candid shots so that on the latter, I have less noise (slower shutter speed, lower ISO), and on those I could use the IS help.  Pretty standard stuff.  Question is on when (if ever) to turn off IS on the lens.  

I typically will shoot min 1/1000 for action.  At that speed, does it matter one way or the other if lens IS is turned on?   If not, I'll just leave it on all the time and not worry about it.  But if it does have a negative effect, I'll have to try and remember to flip it on/off as I go between the two modes.  I am not going to go to a two-camera system, so just trying to figure out the best approach for this situation and set of variables. 

Thanks

Billy 

You need to rethink your question.  That lens has different IS modes, and focusing modes.

Mode 1 is similar to the standard IS found on most lenses.  Mode 2 is used for horizontal panning, an act that would confuse Mode 1 behavior and cause OOF images.

Mode 3 is a more subltle version of Mode 2, because it does not actually compensate until you press the shutter to take the photo.  This is done because the IS affects what you can see through the viewfinder.  

The lens has focusing range adjustments, which can make a BIG difference in your final results.  There is a close range, which would probably work well for portraits.  The second range is for subjects that are at a distance from you, which is  good for most action photography.

The lens behavior can change depending if you are using One Shot or AI Servo focusing mode in the camera body.  You will also get performance differences depending upon your selection of AF points and shooting conditions.

There is no simple "DO THIS" answer to your question.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@coachboz68You need to rethink your question.  That lens has different IS modes, and focusing modes.

Mode 1 is similar to the standard IS found on most lenses.  Mode 2 is used for horizontal panning, an act that would confuse Mode 1 behavior and cause OOF images.

Mode 3 is a more subltle version of Mode 2, because it does not actually compensate until you press the shutter to take the photo.  This is done because the IS affects what you can see through the viewfinder.  

The lens has focusing range adjustments, which can make a BIG difference in your final results.  There is a close range, which would probably work well for portraits.  The second range is for subjects that are at a distance from you, which is  good for most action photography.

The lens behavior can change depending if you are using One Shot or AI Servo focusing mode in the camera body.  You will also get performance differences depending upon your selection of AF points and shooting conditions.

There is no simple "DO THIS" answer to your question.

Thanks.  The mark II of that lens only has 2 modes, I generally keep mine on Mode 2 because almost all of the sports shots are spanning.  I also adjust the focusing distance accordingly.  From what you're saying, it sounds like you believe there would never be a negative effect if the "proper" IS settings where chosen, where "proper" is defined as the correct mode and focusing distance relative to the conditions.  Said differently, there's no scenario where there's an absolute: "Turn IS off" answer.    

@coachboz68 wrote:

Thanks

Billy 

Whether IS does any good at 1/1000 depends on the focal length of the lens. If it's a long telephoto, maybe it does. But remember that if you're moving (panning to follow action, for instance), you could be fighting the lens's IS system; and the result could do more harm than good. Some lenses have a panning mode for IS. But if yours doesn't, you should probably turn IS off.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@coachboz68

Whether IS does any good at 1/1000 depends on the focal length of the lens. If it's a long telephoto, maybe it does. But remember that if you're moving (panning to follow action, for instance), you could be fighting the lens's IS system; and the result could do more harm than good. Some lenses have a panning mode for IS. But if yours doesn't, you should probably turn IS off.

Thanks, Bob.  This lens does have two modes, one specifically for panning.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I flip between "Custom" modes ..."

Coach I don't know what custom modes you use but I would just use Av almost all the time. In that case I think I would leave IS on because it may select a slower SS.  I am not much of a custom mode user and like to set things all the time.  Keep in mind IS only allows you to capture sharp images of static subjects at slower speeds. I think the important thing to know is that it doesn't hurt to use IS at fast shutter speeds. I have not seen any real penalty to using IS at fast shutter speeds.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements