cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What zoom to buy?

Norm53
Enthusiast

I put up a bird feed at the edge of a woods about 80 feet from my lunch table behind a french door. My Canon EOS Rebel T3i with EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 will not bring into focus the birds, large and small.

What lens do I need to buy that will do the job? Cost is no object.

Thanks, Norm

112 REPLIES 112

Duffels tend to be dirt accumulators.  Most quality tripod bags are somewhat water resistant, and are made of nylon, or other materials that do not collect dirt and dust.  I'd advise sticking with a tripod bag. 

Manfrotto does sell bags separately, so if your selection does not come with a bag, then you can always purchase a roomy bag.  Just be aware of the fact that too much room is not a good thing.  Your gear will bounce around inside of the bag.  My Induro bags have velcro tie-down straps at each end inside of them to hold the tripod in place.

I have never used a gimbal, and have never really done any serious birding.  I tried it couple of times over the summer.  Of course, I didn't have the slightest idea of where to go, so I went to the waterfront.  Waiting to capture a good shot reminded me a whole of fishing.  Sitting there with a pole in my hand, waiting for a bite, only this time it was a camera. 

Using a ball to track birds was NOT GOOD, which is why I invested in a pan/tilt head.  Now I can pan and elevate at the same time, without the camera rolling side to side, away from horizontal.  A pan/tilt was less costly than a gimbal, and more flexible.  Plus, the pan/tilt easily fits in my bag, while still attached to the tripod.  I wasn't sure if a gimbal could do that. 

Howver, I do have that Induro gimbal on my wish list, though.  I really don't need it, though, either.  Most of my photos are landscapes, cityscapes, plates of food, and informal social settings like cookouts and holiday gatherings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A pan/tilt was less costly than a gimbal, and more flexible. 

What about speed of shifting of the pan/tilt head compared to the gimbal (or ball)?

Norm

@Norm53 wrote:

A pan/tilt was less costly than a gimbal, and more flexible. 

What about speed of shifting of the pan/tilt head compared to the gimbal (or ball)?

Norm

I have never used a gimbal.  However, a properly balanced gimbal, should be quite nimble.  🙂

Chasing birds with a ball head on a tripod is NOT GOOD.  Using a pan/tilt is better, but not ideal.

If you envision yourself spending a lot of time capturing birds, then a balanced gimbal would far superior to even the best pan/tilt.  I think the Induro Gimbal is a very good one.  I think it would be a good match for the Manfrotto tripod. I keep stressing balanced because otherwise, you'd be worse off than using a pan/tilt.

Be sure to purchase a PADDED bag for your tripod.  I do not know whether or not the gimbal could fit inside of one of Manfrotto's bags.  I've noticed that some have a larger diameter at one end, so it is likely that it could fit while still mounted.  However, I think I would be initially inclined to detach the gimbal for transport, if I didn't have a very protective bag.

Manfrotto 393 gimbal gets good reviews at amazon. I will go with that one unless someone here suggests something better.

I keep stressing balanced because otherwise, you'd be worse off than using a pan/tilt.

Do you mean that I need to keep the tripod level?

Norm

It helps to have a stable tripod.  Someone with gimbal experience could explain it better.  In fact, someone already has. 

Induro_Gimbal_Balanced.jpg

You want the center of gravity of your camera/lens to be centered over the tripod/gimbal base, but level with the horizontal axis of the head.  See the above photo of the same Induro gimbal.  Notice how the QR plate has been raissed from the previous image. 

The CofG of the camera lens has been raised to be on the rotation axis for tilt. notice also how the QR plate, which is mounted to the Lens per Ernie, has been positioned slightly forward.  This was done to align the CofG with the rotational axis of the panning axis.

This setup could probably moved around with just your pinky finger.

Guess the only way I'm going to get balance is to play around with the knobs until I can move the gear around "with my little pinky".

Thanks much, Norm

@Norm53 wrote:

Manfrotto 393 gimbal gets good reviews at amazon. I will go with that one unless someone here suggests something better.

I keep stressing balanced because otherwise, you'd be worse off than using a pan/tilt.

Do you mean that I need to keep the tripod level?

Norm

Manfrotto_393_393.jpg

I just took a look at that Manfrotto 393.  I rejected that one because of its' lack of vertical height adjustment.  I did not see where you can accurately raise or lower the CofG to be in line with the tilt axis.  I consider that head to be more of a tilt, than a true gimbal.

I just took a look at that Manfrotto 393.  I rejected that one because of its lack of vertical height adjustment.  I did not see where you can accurately raise or lower the CofG to be in line with the tilt axis.  I consider that head to be more of a tilt, than a true gimbal.

Then please suggest something else. How about the one you showed in the photo? I don't see its make and model # anywhere.

Norm

The model that I posted, and that someone else said that they use, was the Induro GHB2 Gimbal Head.  Induro and Benro are two faces of the same brand.  Benro sells a similar model for much less, the Benro GH2. 

Benro sells a BH3 at the same price point as the Induro GHB2.  It seems to have more features, like friction control.  I might be revising my wish list to the Benro gimbal.

You mentioned Amazon.  Personally, I have never used the service, and doubt if I ever will.  For camera gear I shop on the web at B&H Photo Video, or the Canon Store.  B&H is used by many professionals, and they offer excellent support after the sale....second to none, IMHO.  I would put more faith in the reviews at B&H than I would those on Amazon.

Feisol_Gimbal_UA-180.jpg

I have added a picture of the Feisol UA-180, which is a similar design to the Manfrotto.  Notice how the camera mounting bracket can be precisely, and continuously raised and lowered to achieve proper balance. 

bh3 gimbal did not compute at google. However, the ghb2 ought to get the job done. I'll order that one and fit it to the Manfritto tripod.

You mentioned Amazon.  Personally, I have never used the service, and doubt if I ever will. 

Googled the manfritto gimbal looking for reviews and up popped amazon. Have no intention of buying this equipment there. I use amazon extensively, but more for books, DVDs, and CDs.

Norm

Announcements