cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What zoom to buy?

Norm53
Enthusiast

I put up a bird feed at the edge of a woods about 80 feet from my lunch table behind a french door. My Canon EOS Rebel T3i with EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 will not bring into focus the birds, large and small.

What lens do I need to buy that will do the job? Cost is no object.

Thanks, Norm

112 REPLIES 112

Another option that was glossed over is the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.  Yes it is only 300mm.  Add to the fact I don't like tele converters but in certain cases they work.  This is one where it works.  The Canon 2x tele converter and EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens combine to make a 600mm f8 lens with IS !  This combo is very good.  The only other tele combo I ever recommend is with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens but then only with the Canon 1.4x, yields a 98-280, f4 lens.

But it is way too short for birding.

The Canon  EF 300mm f/4L IS USM is a fantastic lens by itself.  Very sharp and quick AF.  Everybody raves about the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens and how sharp it is but most over look the 300mm, which is better.  Plus the 300mm gives you IS and the 400mm doesn't. The EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens doesn't handle tele converters very well. So, if you must limit it to the 1.4x version.  Remember no IS with that combo!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Another option that was glossed over is the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.  Yes it is only 300mm.  Add to the fact I don't like tele converters but in certain cases they work.  This is one where it works.  The Canon 2x tele converter and EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens combine to make a 600mm f8 lens with IS !  This combo is very good."

Sorry, but I don't see how this option is any better than the 600mm Sigma or Tamron because they both have IS, according to the specs. Therefore, why buy the 300 w/converter unless it adds something significant to the photo? Also, since the 600's cost around $1080 at B&H, what would the 300 w/converter cost? And we have to consider weight: I can't use a tripod because it limits my shooting flexibility.

Norm

"Please explain what's below from your post because I don't understand it. I assume you are recommending another configuration.

Canon 6D, Canon T3i, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; EF 85mm f/1.8; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Norm"

That is his signature which includes his gear.  Has nothing to do with recommendations for birding.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements