cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size filter will fit the EFS 18-55mm lens?

dsomers56
Contributor

what size filter will fit  canon EFS 18-55 mm lens?

18 REPLIES 18

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nirjan169 wrote:
I have canon Rebel t5 and I am using 55-250 zoom lens. So, is the lens compatible?

Yes.  There have been a few variations of the EF-S 55-250mm lens, as well as the EF-S 18-55mm camera kit lenses, but I think they were all 58mm.  You should note the complete model number of the lenses, and consult your vendor to be certain.

As Skirball pointed out earlier in this thread, every Canon lens (and probably every lens) has its filter diameter etched on it. All you really have to do is look.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

nirjan169
Contributor
Ok.Thank you for your kind informations.

nirjan169
Contributor
Actually I was thinking to get this from Amazon.com. There I can't ask anyone. That's why I am quering here.

Actually a better place to buy it is B&H or Adorama. Either will answer any and all questions you might have.  Also make sure you get the one that is named Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  A even better choice, although more expensive, is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

Besides buying a protecto filter, what filter are you considering.  Filters are virtually obsolete in the digital age.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

nirjan169
Contributor
The complete model number is CANON ZOOM LENS EF-S 55-250 mm f/4 - 5.6 IS II.

@nirjan169 wrote:

That's a pretty good entry level lens.  You should see "58mm" stamped on the front of the lens.  Buy that size.

A protection filter would help protect the front lens element.  Filters that fit your 55-250mm will your 18-55mm camera kit lens, too.  As the 55-250mm lens isn't very expensive, I might look for a 3-4 filter kit.  You filters would be interchangeable.

I like having a Clear protective filter, a UV filter, a CPL filter, and a ND filter, in that order.  I like to shoot outdoors, landscapes and cityscapes.  I grew up near the water, and love to photograph it.  The ND filters are useful for long exposures.

I use Clear filters on all of my lenses because I am somewhat clumsy, especially when it comes to replacing a lens cap back onto the front of the lens.  Clear filters are not usually found in a filter kit. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nirjan169 wrote:

That's a pretty good entry level lens.  You should see "58mm" stamped on the front of the lens.  Buy that size.

A protection filter would help protect the front lens element.  Filters that fit your 55-250mm will your 18-55mm camera kit lens, too.  As the 55-250mm lens isn't very expensive, I might look for a 3-4 filter kit.  You filters would be interchangeable.

I like having a Clear protective filter, a UV filter, a CPL filter, and a ND filter, in that order.  I like to shoot outdoors, landscapes and cityscapes.  I grew up near the water, and love to photograph it.  The ND filters are useful for long exposures.

I use Clear filters on all of my lenses because I am somewhat clumsy, especially when it comes to replacing a lens cap back onto the front of the lens.  Clear filters are not usually found in a filter kit. 

How does a "clear" filter differ from a UV filter? Does it actually admit UV light? I ask because most glass is pretty good at blocking UV. The reason photochromic sunglasses don't work well inside a closed automobile is that the windshield blocks most of the UV. In hospitals and old folks' homes with sunrooms that are supposed to allow UV in, they have to use special window glass. In the old days I guess a UV filter kept UV light from fogging the film, but in a digital camera there's no film to fog. So if a filter is used only to protect the lens from thumbprints and scratches, what difference does it make whether it blocks or admits UV? 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"How does a "clear" filter differ from a UV filter? Does it actually admit UV light? I ask because most glass is pretty good at blocking UV. The reason photochromic sunglasses don't work well inside a closed automobile is that the windshield blocks most of the UV.

In hospitals and old folks' homes with sunrooms that are supposed to allow UV in, they have to use special window glass. In the old days I guess a UV filter kept UV light from fogging the film, but in a digital camera there's no film to fog. So if a filter is used only to protect the lens from thumbprints and scratches, what difference does it make whether it blocks or admits UV? "

Good question.  All that I can go on now are manufacturer's claims.  I know that my exposures seem to be more accurate when I use the UV filter when shooting landscapes.  Is there a difference between Clear and UV?  Supposedly, there is.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Guys it isn't totally true that digital sensors are not effected by UV.  They aren't at sea level but high up in the mountains they can be.

You don't have to use a UV or skylight filter if all you want is to protect your lens. A clear filter is all you need. 

One thing I might add is multi-coated filters help improve contrast and reduce reflections.  The quality of the filter should be the same as the quality of your lens.

Don't get me wrong. Polarizers, ND filters all have a place.  It is just there place has been reduced greatly with the advent of digital and the advanced ability of PS.  It is a lot quicker to slap on a filter then it is to spend quality time with your post editor.  But it can be done.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements