cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size filter will fit the EFS 18-55mm lens?

dsomers56
Contributor

what size filter will fit  canon EFS 18-55 mm lens?

18 REPLIES 18

Skirball
Authority

Canon usually puts the filter size on the ring on the front element or somewhere along the side.  It'll use the diameter symbol  .  That lens is 58mm.   Though I usually find Google to be fastest for such questions:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=filter+size+ef-s+18-55

thank you..i got a Tiffen 58mm circular polarizing filter . initially i couldn't t it to fit. 

nirjan169
Contributor
@dsomers56 : Is that 58 tiffen filter working good with 18-55 lens?

@nirjan169 wrote:

Some of the EF-S 18-55mm lenses rotate the front element to focus.  For a CPL filter, which relies upon rotational orientaiton to be effective and useful, a rotating lens is problematic.  Better lenses focus internally, without rotating the filter ring threads.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nirjan169 wrote:

Some of the EF-S 18-55mm lenses rotate the front element to focus.  For a CPL filter, which relies upon rotational orientaiton to be effective and useful, a rotating lens is problematic.  Better lenses focus internally, without rotating the filter ring threads.

There are, of course, many lenses that don't focus internally but still don't rotate their front elements.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

nirjan169
Contributor
Still the filter will be fit with the lens,right?

@nirjan169 wrote:
Still the filter will be fit with the lens,right?

A 58mm filter should almost certainly fit.  If you gives a brand name and part number, we could tell you for certain.

nirjan169
Contributor
I have canon Rebel t5 and I am using 55-250 zoom lens. So, is the lens compatible?

@nirjan169 wrote:
I have canon Rebel t5 and I am using 55-250 zoom lens. So, is the lens compatible?

Yes.  There have been a few variations of the EF-S 55-250mm lens, as well as the EF-S 18-55mm camera kit lenses, but I think they were all 58mm.  You should note the complete model number of the lenses, and consult your vendor to be certain.

Announcements