cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size and where can I find replacement screws for the 70-200 2.8L IS lens?

namuwilliams
Apprentice

Three of the four screws in my 70-200 2.8L IS lens magically disappeared on the same day...I can't find anywhere online what size they are. I can't afford to send the lens into Canon - I'm sure if I can find the screws, I'm capable of screwing them in, lol.

The screws in question are the in the ring closest to the camera body. Picture attached for reference. Thanks!

70-200-28L-missingscrews.jpg

19 REPLIES 19

amfoto1
Authority

That's odd! Has the lens been disassembled before?

I have exploded views and parts lists for some lenses and cameras, but unfortunately not the 70-200/2.8L IS.

Go to your Canon website (such as Canon USA, if you are in the US) and get the phone number for the closest Service Dept. Call them and tell them what you are need. From your description, they'll probably be able to identify and sell you the correct screws and ship them to you, so that you can install them yourself.

I'd suggest a very small amount of blue Locktite on the threads, to keep the screws from loosening again. You want to be very careful not to use too much Locktite, to be sure it doesn't get inside the lens.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Thanks for the reply, amfoto1!

I know, that's weird, right? I can only imagine that someone took the screws out (what are the chances of three falling out on the same day, at the same time? lol) - although, the lens is never out of my sight, so I'm not sure when it could have happened...unless my four year old managed it somehow, haha.

It could have been disassembled before, but not during my ownership. I bought it from its original purchaser, who only had it for a few months before selling it to me. I've had it for a couple of years now, and it's worked well in that time, but now, missing three out of four screws, it's become very loose and sometimes doesn't focus.

I'll call parts and see what they say, thanks.

"...  missing three out of four screws, it's become very loose and sometimes doesn't focus."

I know you said you don't want to send it to Canon BUT you need to.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I know you said you don't want to send it to Canon BUT you need to."

Why do I need to?

@namuwilliams wrote:

"I know you said you don't want to send it to Canon BUT you need to."

Why do I need to?

Because you don't want to play games with a lens that good and that expensive. If the missing sdrews have let it fall out of alignment, replacing them may not be enough to set things right.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If you just want to replace the screws, here is the parts list for that lens: EF 70-200 2.8 L IS USM

_70-200.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Kudos Mike for the diagram!!  I'm looking for the part number of the 4 screws that hold the bezel together and the heads of which touch the camera's mount plate.  Doesn't appear to have a parts number, or am I noobing and not reading it right? lol  I know on the ones I'm missing there is no nut and there are 4 of them. Any suggestions?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check post number 4 above.

And here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3kf2tt2zmds7lr/PrintStudioPro_V2.0_Win_EN_V01.pdf?dl=0

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have found an old computer to be a good source of small screws of various sizes.

Announcements