cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your first L lens?

jaenagle
Contributor

So from when you got your first (D) SLR camera, when did you get your first L lense?

What was it and what did you have to sacrifice to get it?

www.crazyfaith.smugmug.com
47 REPLIES 47

Misha
Apprentice

I got my first L- lens ~3 months after I bought my first DSLR (Canon 20D). As many others I am sure, I bought my first DSLR with a cheapo stock lens. After playing with it for a while, I was so disappointed with the results, I went out and bought 17-40 f/4L. Never picked up that stock lens again. It is a terrific wide-angle zoom and IMO better value than 16-35 f/2.8 if you shoot landscapes. 

MrL
Apprentice
my first was the brick, 24-70. I still use it frequently.

jaenagle
Contributor

forgot to add to my own thread.  mine was a 70-200 f4 and i sold that and purchased a sigma.... then traded that to get a 24-105L

www.crazyfaith.smugmug.com

grandpawrichard
Apprentice

My first L series lens was my 70-200 f/4 that I still use today! It started me off into the dreaded "L Series Disease" that has fueled my passion for photography and kept my bank account money poor!

2 Canon, 7D Cameras,, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash

JoeN
Contributor
The 100-400 was my first L and I bought it just a short time after I bought my 40D. All I sacrificed was a bunch of interest since I purchased it with a credit card and then took several months to pay it off.
Joe

David
Enthusiast

Mine was the 17-40.

stevepow
Enthusiast

24-70 purchased not long after I got the 5D several years ago.  I tried a bunch of Leica R lenses I had with an adapter - but wanted a good auto focus general purpose lens.  It's great but heavy - really have to want a 2.8 to choose it over the longer reaching lighter IS 24-105. I do think the IQ may be a touch nicer with the 24-70 - or at least different and is very nice and I still use it often.  🙂

Steve
EOS 5D MKIII

Jake
Contributor

24-105 f/4. It turned out to be a great option as I can shoot pretty much any scene with it. It has great mid range coverage. I still have it on my camera when I go out, and only change to my other lenses when needed. It's a great lens.

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

My first L was about a year after my 30D. It was the 200mm 2.8, then I got a 70-200mm f/4. Sold both to go to 70-200mm f/2.8 which I still use. Also have 17-40, 24-70 and 300 f/4. Would love a 300 f/2.8.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/
Announcements