cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your first L lens?

jaenagle
Contributor

So from when you got your first (D) SLR camera, when did you get your first L lense?

What was it and what did you have to sacrifice to get it?

www.crazyfaith.smugmug.com
47 REPLIES 47

drewshipley
Apprentice

35L followed shortly by the 135L.

Since my first camera (along with many others after it) weren't Canons I'll just give the time between purchasing my first Canon body (a used 5D2) to when I purchased the 35L which was 6 months (the 135L came 2 months later).

I guess the sacrafice would be the money it cost to purchase the lens, but while I did want it I also needed it to do my job.

Drew

arbitrage
Apprentice
I got mine 6months after. It was both the 24-105 and 100-400 at the same time. That has led to many more with the most recent 600II really breaking the bank!!

soxu
Apprentice

16-35 L II, 2.8 produces excellent bokeh even at 35mm, autofocus is quickest I've ever used

RexGig
Enthusiast

I started serious DSLR shooting in July 2010, using an XTi belonging to my wife. I bought myself a pre-owned XTi later that summer, and then a pre-owned 40D in October 2010. I was blessed with an early Christmas gift of cash, from my parents, which paid for much or most of the cost of my 100mm 2.8L Macro, in November 2010. Without that timely infusion of cash, I probably would have settled for a pre-owned 100mm or 85mm non-L for a project at work, but the 100L's environmental sealing was an asset for that project, and remains useful.

2n10
Contributor

EF-s 17-55mm f2.8.  Smiley Very Happy  It should be anyways.

dolina
Apprentice

In 2003 I got myself a EF 17-40mm f/4L USM because it was the newest ultra wide zoom available. At the time I had no understanding of f-numbers. I am thankful I got this lens as the faster ultra wide was replaced by the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM soon after.

scj7129
Contributor

First L lens...Picked up in Japan:

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606804-USA/Canon_3552B002_TS_E_24mm_f_3_5L_II.html

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift Manual Focus Lens for EOS Cameras

Tack Sharp Images!....I shot a model wearing a kimono type outfit with some Kodak T-MAX B&W film...did my own prints....could even see the stitching clearly on the kimono with the grain focuser!

Here's the pic!:

Becca in Japanese Garb.jpg

Announcements