cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What makes a good lens "good"?

shane
Contributor

I recently upgraded from my old XTi to a 77i.  I bought the body only and I am currently using the stock lens from my XTi while I save up for a better lens.

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is what I'm looking at but I have been trying to figure out what it truly offers over the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens.

In reading up, I don't think for a novice like me the STM vs USM will make a difference one way or the other in my use/perfromance.  Please let me know if I'm wong about this.

I see there is a noticeable difference in the lens construction elements.  Is this the reason for the price difference?  Is the difference in performance in line with the step up in price?

What would I gain (or lose) if I got the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM instead of the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM?

13 REPLIES 13

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Trevor, 

"The point about newest bodies may well be correct, ..."  The point doesn't stop with the newest bodies although they do take full advantage of f2.8 or lower.  A faster lens will always focus faster.  Yeah, in great light you might need a computer to measure the difference but it is still there.

It is hard to critique a photographer like you that seems to get the best out of his gear but it is still a fact. There are other factors that will effect focus speed besides f2.8.

I would never doubt that Ernie, and I totally respect your comments in this area.  I would have to say that I simply have no experience with needing that capability.  Somehow I just use the lenses and bodies as I need to - rather oddly perhaps I have not kept up with the latest capabilities of bodies and lenses.  I even still shoot a lot with my Canon 60D's (just 'cos I like them!) and they are what... about 9 years old or thereabouts.   Sadly I am a living fossil (as my stepdaughter is prone to remind me... Smiley Embarassed)

My comments are never intended to be seen as absolutist and should (I hope) be taken as part of the whole post I made.   We tend to get minimal information of the intent, types of subjects or conditions and constraints upon which we are asked for advice to suggest a solution.  I always seek to get more details in those areas (as you have doubtless seen multiple times), perhaps there should be a form one has to fill out before asking "what should I get, or in this case what is a "good" lens. Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"Sadly I am a living fossil (as my stepdaughter is prone to remind me..."

This is not a comment restricted to step-daughter's!  It is a comment I hear form daughter and granddaughters.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Sadly I am a living fossil (as my stepdaughter is prone to remind me..."

This is not a comment restricted to step-daughter's!  It is a comment I hear form daughter and granddaughters.

The thing is I don't FEEL almost 67, I still feel (and apparently act) as if I am decades younger, but then I look in the mirror and wonder who the old guy is staring back at me.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It gets worse!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements