cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lenses to Buy for Professional film-like Quality/Clarity

miketc25
Contributor

I have an EOS Rebel T4i and I was wondering the best option for a lens to get that film quality that you can see in the movies. I have seen many videos with DSLR lenses that are beautiful quality. Whether it's an EF lens or Cinema lens, I'm all ears. The last thing I want to do is buy a super expensive lens that doesn't do it right so I'm asking for options. I'm a college student so $1,500- $2,000 would be a maximum price for this piece. Thank you in advance!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Best bang for the buck is the Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS. It is a bargain at B&H or Adorama. Plus sometimes you can find "white box" deals on them for the $700-$750 dollar range.  WB is same lens, same warranty. Brand new as they are just trade ins.

This lens makes great place to 'start' your lens collection!  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

diverhank
Authority
If you want the best, get the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM. For best bang for the buck, the EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Best bang for the buck is the Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS. It is a bargain at B&H or Adorama. Plus sometimes you can find "white box" deals on them for the $700-$750 dollar range.  WB is same lens, same warranty. Brand new as they are just trade ins.

This lens makes great place to 'start' your lens collection!  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks very much for the help!

diverhank
Authority
If you want the best, get the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM. For best bang for the buck, the EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

amfoto1
Authority

The T4i is optimized to work with "STM" or "Stepper Motor" focus drive lenses. There are several of those in the Canon line-up... especially designed for quiet operation often needed when shooting video. You do not need to sink a ton of money into a fancy L-series, none of which are STM lens and some of which have IS, which make for noisier operation. Many videographers turn off IS, too, when they can.  Quite a few also use manual focusing techniques.

What lenses do you already have?

How are your current lenses coming up short?

What are you trying to shoot?

Are there specific effects you are looking for?

Are you taking class(es) in videography? If so, have you consulted with your instructor?

These are all important considerations, before anyone should try to recommend a specific lens. Canon has the largest selection of lenses of any manufacturer, most of which are fully capable of top quality images such as you see in the movies. The 24-105L and 24-70L lenses are certainly fine, but neither is particularly wide on a crop sensor camera, nor are either very long at the telephoto end, plus there are more than 60 other Canon lenses worth consideration. For example, if you want shallow depth of field effects, you might instead want a large aperture prime lens. Or maybe you need a Tilt-Shift lens that allows you to control perspective and plane of focus. Or you might be best served with a macro lens. Or something else. We really need more info in order to give any kind of good advice.

There are some advantages to Cine lenses, but you aren't limited to those.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

My first and only lens right now is an EF 50mm f/1.8 ii

It's not that it comes up short but I would like a better choice in shots. I would like more of the picture focused, like with a wider angled lens. I do have some Glide Gear equipment that are challenging to manage with the 50mm because if my depth from the person/object being focused on changes at all, then I will have to try to change the focus which will make the shot shaky and that's the opposite of what Glide Gear should do. 

So a lens that would give great quality and also can be set on one focus without having to adjust mid-shot would be ideal. I've heard that with Glide Gear a wider angled lens should be the first choice but I'm not quite sure. Also being able to get close to the object being filmed and still getting most of their body in the shot is something I would prefer. I mostly would be shooting dance videos and short films.

I no longer take any video production course but I did in high school for three years and I loved it. Once I found out DSLR was a great way to go for film I just had to get one for myself and it's been worth every penny.

I've also researched on my own for a while and came up with two options in the type of lens that I'd want to buy and one of the options was actually the 24-105mm I just haven't really seen it in action so I really didn't know if it was the right choice and that's exactly why I started an account on this forum :).

The 24-105 is a great choice for video but the IS is audible when using the Camera's built-in Microphone. It's best to use this lens with an external Mic.

Here is a video showing what it sounds like:   

Mike Sowsun
Announcements