Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens to buy next

migraineboi
Contributor

Hey guys

I have a 7D and two lenses, a fixed 50mm and a 18-135mm kit lens

Im wondering which is the best lens to get next fir everday photography,  like pictures of my kids playing, street photography, cars. General stuff

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best bang for the buck is the Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

Actually the 18-135mm you already have should serve those purposes pretty well, unless you find it lacking in some way.

Which of the 50mm lenses do you have?

What have you found yourself wanting to shoot, but haven't been able to?

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Well I would think you might enjoy a wide angle lens - the EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM is a nice match to your crop camera.

I have it and really like it on my 60D. It gets great reviews.

On the other end, how about the EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM or EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM to get more reach. Like you I have the 18-135 and find it works very well so went with the 70-300 L to have a longer reach telephoto.

A friend told me the 100mm lenses are all macros, but I think I want one. If it is, what affordable lenses less that $500 can I purchase?

Not all 100mm lenses are macro lenses. But some are.

There is the EF 100mm f2 USM. There are also the EF 100/2.8 USM Macro, and the EF 100/2.8L IS USM Macro.

If you want to shoot macro, the EF 100/2.8 USM sells for around $500, but the tripod mounting ring and lens hood are sold separately and would make a final cost higher.

There is also the EF-S 60mm f2.8 USM Macro lens, which is around $400, if memory serves. It's more compact than the 100mm and can't be fitted with a tripod ring. It's lens hood is also sold separately.

If you are interested in shooting close-ups, you also could just get macro extension tubes to use with your 18-135mm. Canon sells individual 12mm and 25mm tubes. Or, the Kenko set of three tubes (12mm, 20mm & 36mm) sells for about $200 US. Adding extension behind your 18-135mm will allow it to focus much closer... the more extension, the closer it can focus and the higher the magnification. You also can use extension tubes on your 50mm lens.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't know for sure every 100mm lens is a macro but Canon certainly produces one.

"...  like pictures of my kids playing, street photography, cars. General stuff"

It also certainly would not be the first choice for what you stated in your OP.

I am assuming you have the standard kit lens and a 50mm f1.8. Neither of which are in the same class as the

24-105mm f4 L IS, I already suggested. For what you stated, this lens is the best choice for you.

You have a semi-pro level camera and the 24-105mm is a pro level lens. It is wise to keep your equipment matched.

I see it all the time. A guy will spend boo-koo bucks on a camera, than put a whatever so-so lens on it. 

I was at an air show last summer and run in to a guy that had a 1Dx with a 50mm f1.8 attached to it. Takes all kinds I guess.

EB

ScottyP
Authority

Your zoom covers a really wide range with "ok" image quality.  You have a 50mm prime (which one?) so you have the dead center covered with good sharpness and bright aperture (if not great autofocus if it is the f/1.8).  For kids, street, cars, you might want to go with a number of things.  A 100mm lens would not tend to be this lens, whether macro or not.

Do you want macro?  Then go with a macro 100mm.

Want the other stuff?  I love my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

" I love my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art."  

Oh my, the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is THE lens for a 7D. Smiley Very Happy  Absolutely fantastic!

EB
Announcements