Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

What lens should replace a 50mm focal length on a cropped sensor?

What lens should replace a 50mm focal length on a cropped sensor?

Occasional Contributor

Re: What lens should replace a 50mm focal length on a cropped sensor?

In comparison to a full frame.... you'd get the same reach with 31mm.

Occasional Contributor

The closest to a 50mm's angle of view is the Sigma 30mm. Many photographers vouch for this lens, but when I owned it, the sharpness wasn't great when shot wide open. And an element had become decentered. I would go for the Canon 28mm instead if I had to make a decision again. And 28mm is closer to an APS-C's 'normal' focal length.
http://www.chrisandrikakis.com
New Contributor

Depends on which sensor. Crop focal length / crop ratio = full frame focal length.

So 31mm on a 1.6 and 38mm on a 1.3 crop.
www.JasonTanaka.com
New Contributor

What do you think about the prime 35mm f/2... Running on a cheaper budget? jajaja

LJG
Occasional Contributor

Out of the Canon 35 f/2 or 28 f/1.8 I personally would spend the extra couple of hundred on the 28 f/18 for a crop body.

Cheers
Lloyd
5DII | 40D
Frequent Contributor

28mm on a crop body is 45mm; 35mm on a crop body is 56mm.  To get exactly 50mm, you can use a zoom lens at around 32mm.  I can't really tell 50mm from 45mm but that's just me.

I use the 28mm f/1.8 on a crop and am happy with it.  No experience with the 35mm f/2 but I'm guessing the difference will be similar to the 50mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4.

I had the 50 f/1.8 and loved it.  I sold it to get the f/1.4 thinking it would knock my socks off.  I see the difference, but as a hobbyist, I would have been happy sticking to the nifty-fifty.  Beginning to ramble....