cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens should I get for my 5dmk2?

NathanHanlon
Apprentice

I shoot a lot of everything mostly scenery and creepy stuff? Looking for a l lens have about 900 to spend!

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

Do you have any lenses now? If so which ones? If not the 24-105 L IS is a very popular choice & Canon was wise enough to sell the 5D2 and the 24-105 L as a kit.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Agree with cicopo. The 24-105 standard zoom is an excellent choice assuming you don't already have similar lens or focal lengths.

Don't be suspicious of all the 24-105Ls for sale on eBay and CL. Many are from kits where someone got a great deal but didn't need or want the lens and many are from photographers upgrading to the 24-70 II (which may be another option).

I was thinking about it but I have heard terrible things about it. What about the 135mm l prime lens? Ohh and all I have right now is the new 40mm pancake since I switched to full frame.

What terrible thngs have you heard?  Don't believe everything you read.  I own the 24-105 and use it more than any other lens on my FF body.  It is a fantastic lens and its got to be one of the most popular lens Canon has ever produced.

I don't own the 135L but have read great things.  If that is the focal lenght you need, then that would be a great choice. However I think you will be much better suited with focal ranges from 24 (wide) to 105 (short telephoto) than just the 40 and 135 in your bag.

http://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=240

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I can't imagine what you've heard about the 24-105 that would scare you away from it. I've had mine since early 2006 and it perferms perfectly & is very sharp. If you'd like some full file samples to evaluate I have some that can be downloaded here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116179596240613012497/LensSamples#

The samples have notes that will explain any processing done etc and are from a few of the bodies I've used over the years including a 5D2. Use the actions tab to select the "download photo" option.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

This is very true. The bad things that I have heard where from 2 photography professors at my school. They mostly just showed me the graph on it and stuff, so thats what scarred me away from it.

I love my 24-105.  Very sharp.

I agree with the person who said it would be awkward shooting with nothing but a 40mm and a 135mm.  That 135 would feel awfully long indoors.

Also, what is "creepy stuff"?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

slerch
Contributor
As others have said, the 24-105 is a nice lens. It's not L "qualiity" in the build department, but you can get some darn fine photos from it.

Since you focus on landscape, you don't really need a telephoto, but a zoom lens is nice to have.

The 24-105 is a safe option with good quality.

ratan
Enthusiast

I think you should get the 24-105. I don't know what your professors say but I assure you that this lens will satisfy all your photography needs. For its price and the quality you're getting its quite a good buy. The 24-105 is the most versitile lens on Canon's lineup. It can be a landscape lens at 24, a normal lens at 50, a portrait lens at 85, a tele at 105. Not to mention there is IS. If you're shooting fullframe 5dmkii i would assume you would want to use your camera's full capacity, and by utilizing Canon's L lens you can achieve the best results. And after saying this, referring to your budget of 900, you can choose between the two cheapest Ls. the 17-40 and the 24-105 (personally I would choose the 24-105).

If you have a higher budget get the 24-70 II. That is another all purpose lens. Great for landscape, portraiture, can also be used for macro as well!

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Announcements