cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens for all round wildlife?

Bamps0
Apprentice

Hi, I'm new here. I shoot with a EOS 6d and photo anything from birds in flight to rattlesnakes coiled on the ground. Im looking for a good multipupose lens and was leaning heavy to the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  I also generally do not use my tripod, preferring to move and shoot as I go. Thoughts about this or recommendations to a better option?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Bamps0 wrote:

Hi, I'm new here. I shoot with a EOS 6d and photo anything from birds in flight to rattlesnakes coiled on the ground. Im looking for a good multipupose lens and was leaning heavy to the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  I also generally do not use my tripod, preferring to move and shoot as I go. Thoughts about this or recommendations to a better option?

The EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a great choice!

View solution in original post

Bamps0
Apprentice

Thanks everybody for your input. I just pulled the trigger today, (yeah, FINALLY!!), on a EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L is II USM. 

I am so stoked with excitement  THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!! 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

I think you're on the right track with this. I still shoot the old version & am quite happy with what it captures. Here's a very long thread on ver 2 that will most likely clinch the deal.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1411834&goto=newpost

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Bamps0 wrote:

The EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a great choice!

amfoto1
Authority

I agree... the 100-400L MkII would be a superb wildlife lens.

To be honest, for these purposes the 100-400 would be even better on a more action-oriented, crop sensor camera such as a 7D/7DII, instead of a full frame 6D. Of course, you can use the FF camera and it's superb for some more sedate types of shooting and one of the best in low light conditions. But it's just not the best for fast action shooting and tracking moving subjects. You'll particularly have trouble shooting birds in flight with it.

In addition, crop sensor cameras give some helpful "free teleconverter" effect... more reach with the same lens, to make that 100-400mm "more powerful"... which can be quite important with wildlife. With their high performance AF systems, 7D and 7DII are particularly good for sports/action shooting. But, in fact, 70D or even 60D/50D would be better cameras for these purposes than 6D. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

@amfoto1 wrote:

I agree... the 100-400L MkII would be a superb wildlife lens.

To be honest, for these purposes the 100-400 would be even better on a more action-oriented, crop sensor camera such as a 7D/7DII, instead of a full frame 6D. Of course, you can use the FF camera and it's superb for some more sedate types of shooting and one of the best in low light conditions. But it's just not the best for fast action shooting and tracking moving subjects. You'll particularly have trouble shooting birds in flight with it.

In addition, crop sensor cameras give some helpful "free teleconverter" effect... more reach with the same lens, to make that 100-400mm "more powerful"... which can be quite important with wildlife. With their high performance AF systems, 7D and 7DII are particularly good for sports/action shooting. But, in fact, 70D or even 60D/50D would be better cameras for these purposes than 6D. 

I'm not sure I would go as far as to say the 50D or 60D would be better. While they are crop sensor cameras they have an older 9 point AF system compared to the 6D's newer 11 point AF system. They do have an edge on frame rate, which is the biggest issue with the 6D for sports or wildlife.
The 6D's AF is much better than people give it credit for. While I use my 7D for sports and wildlife (due to frame rate and buffer size) I did testing with the 6D's tracking with both skateboarders and race cars. The 6D had no problem tracking either of those. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bamps0 wrote:

Good choice.

Think about getting your hands on a good prime, too, somewhere around 200mm would be good.  Now, you're going to be forced to think about your shots a little bit more before you take them.  Tripods are good if you are sitting in a hiding spot, waiting for something to come into view.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a good choice.  I have the first version of the 100-400mm and have used it for years.  However I did not go for version II, an went with the Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 mainly because of the added 200 mm.

I have sice bought the Sigma 150-600mm f5.6.3 Sport.  It is not hand holdable but the "C" version of it is.

The IQ of these four lenses is nearly identical with the Sigma S being only marginally better (plus the advantage of the 200 extra mm).

Just food for though as any of these are very nice.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bamps0
Apprentice

Thanks everybody for your input. I just pulled the trigger today, (yeah, FINALLY!!), on a EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L is II USM. 

I am so stoked with excitement  THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!! 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements