cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens do you use for close ups when you don't have a macro

Wayne3
Enthusiast

Hi folks!

I've been playing around with photography for close to a year now, almost all of that has been wildlife so the couple of lenses I have bought have been longer focal length.  Ocassionally though, I see a flower or an insect I love. I haven't had bad results just using whatever lens I have on at the time. Below is a crocus taken with the kit lens (Canon 18-55 mm f5.6 ) and a bumblebee (Canon 100-400 mm also a f5.6 the only good piece of glass I have, my third lens is the Canon 55-250mm my camera is an old Canon Rebel T4i). I don't think I am ready to splurge on a macro lens yet. So, if I want to take a close up should I be using the the widest lens I have, does it matter? 

Thanks!

crocus3.JPGbee3.JPG 

32 REPLIES 32

Thanks for all your responses! I'm sorry I have been missing in action here.

Trevor's first response (and beautiful pictures) will give me a start without any extra equipment. I was going the wrong direction with lenses (I didn't know that macro lenses tend to be on the telephoto side so my Canon 100-400 is fine for right now). I think I need to play with aperture a bit. In particular, in  my first attempts the depth of field was too narrow even though there was plenty of light the day I took them so I could have narrowered the aperture. Some of this is just getting off the basic presets. I suspect both of these pictures were just on the "close-up" present and I have time to play around with aperture priority. Only after that will I get extension tubes. ( I love the quote Trevor added "A good swordsman is more important than a good sword." I'm happy to work on my skill before getting more swords right now LOL). 

Why not just get a macro lens in the long run? Maybe I will, but I assumed the weak point of my equipment will soon be the 7 year old Rebel T4i, although I have mixed feelings about this camera body. Despite it being an entry level camera, because I have only been really playing with it this last year my feelings have been if it died tomorrow I would get another Rebel. The amount of time I spend on Manual right now is still pretty miniscual (really just my very rare pictures of starry skies) so I am pretty content with the options of an entry level body. Let me know if I'm heading in the wrong direction here. 

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Wayne 

"... I assumed the weak point of my equipment will soon be the 7 year old Rebel T4i,..."

A point most seem to forget, probably because new cameras have new tech, is your T4i is just as capable today as it ever was. If you were happy with it then and you don't need the new tech, it is just fine.

IMHO, you do need a true macro lens to do macro work. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... I assumed the weak point of my equipment will soon be the 7 year old Rebel T4i,..."

A point most seem to forget, probably because new cameras have new tech, is your T4i is just as capable today as it ever was. If you were happy with it then and you don't need the new tech, it is just fine.

The T4i was not a particularly well liked camera in its day, but only because the pseudo-leather plastic covering on its body tended to degenerate and get sticky. If that hasn't happened to your camera, then you can ignore that fault. Even if you acquire a more modern camera, you might still find the T4i useful as a second camera or a backup.

The principal difference between a true macro lens and a telephoto lens of the same focal length is that the macro lens allows you to get closer to the subject while keeping it in focus than the telephoto lens would

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I might note that the last image in my first post - the one of water droplets on the leaf, was taken with the T4i  -  IMHO it did an OK job, so I think your camera is quite a capable tool.

We come back to the age-old question when and how to upgrade equipment.  I think the OP is wise to concentrate on technique at the moment, REALLY get to know their camera's strengths and shortcomings and then look at what is coming on line.

The rise of high-quality MILCs is a good thing for two reasons:

1. If one chooses to switch that is where the mass of development is heading at the moment, so if you have a long photographic career ahead of you, then this is a good time to consider the switch as you will get the long-term return on investment.

2. If you choose to stick with the perfectly good EF system, then a mass of good, used equipment will come onto the market at low prices as enthusiasts jump on on MILC band-wagon. While EF lens development may be stalled, I personally think it will come back again for a few lenses and maybe the odd body to support the huge mass of EF and EF-S users (see the long-running thread: How long will EF be around?).  Even if nothing new comes on board, what IS there is very capable and there is a huge range of lenses already.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"How long will EF be around?).  Even if nothing new comes on board, what IS there is very capable and there is a huge range of lenses already."

As I noted earlier in this thread, EF mount security cameras is a big business.  [I think it was this thread.]  The EF mount is not going away anytime soon.  While I think Canon may be done with releasing new EF mount consumer cameras, they made no mention of stopping production of EF/EF-S lenses.  The EF mount is used the EOS Cinema line of cameras, too.  

I think EF lenses will be around for quite a while.  Rumors of its' death are premature, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Don't you think it is short sighted to think the new models of Rebel and cine cameras won't have the new R mount.  Really?

EB

The following image was taken with the EOS M, and the EF-S60 f/2.8 lens.

Flower 03 LR.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Nice Smiley Happy

EB

Thanks Bob!

Jeez, once again I may have been moving in the wrong direction LOL. If the Rebel T4i is a fine body for what I am presently doing, I will hang on to it for a bit longer.  Sooo, work on technique right now. When the time comes to buy more equipment worry more about getting a better lens than a different body.  I had no idea the fake leather tended to get sticky.  For a nonweather proofed camera I'm afraid I've had it out in all weather this year of taking pictures, it has gotten snowed on more times than I like to admit, gotten damp, etc., and the rubber and plastic cover hasn't broken down at all. Sometimes you get lucky I guess 🙂

It did not affect all T4i cameras.  Just too many to stop production and remedy it on the T5i which is essentially the same camera.

EB
Announcements