cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of lenses, (both Canon and after market) will fit my Canon Rebel T1i?

DanJag
Apprentice
I have been using my kit lense for my RebelT1i and it works great, but now I am ready to start investing in new lenses, but with all the different kinds available, I'm not sure how to know what fits. EF, EOS, etc, If I choose to invest in 'other than canon' lenses is there a way to know how to chose one that fits my Rebel? I am even more confused when it comes to buying filters. I know that it should't matter with filters if it is EOS, EF or what ever, but if I wanted to buy an f stop or polorized or UV filter for example, will I need to buy a new one for every lense? are there adapters for them to fit? And just for interested in opinions, do you prefer macro lenses, or macr tubes, and why?
Thanks!
Danny
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

David
Enthusiast

Your EOS camera, which has a APS-C size sensor, is compatible with any EF or EF-S mount lens. EF-S lenses are not compatible with the 5D, 6D, 1D, and 1Ds series cameras along with the 10D and older cameras.

Here is a list of lens designations from manufactures that are compatible with your EOS body (only for APS-C in bold).

Canon- EF-S and EF

Sigma- DC and DG lenses.

Tamron- Di-II and Di

Tokina- Dx, Dx-II, and FX

View solution in original post

cicopo
Elite

Well the good news is that just about anything being sold in the stores (new) in a Canon mount will fit, whether it has an EF-S or EF designation as used by Canon or EF-S comptible mount which Sigma & Tamron use. However if you suspect that down the road you may want to switch to a full frame body try selecting lenses designed as EF mount compatible. 

As for filters most screw onto the end of the lens, so they are usually bought to match the lens they'll go on BUT there are step down & step up adapters so you can share a filter across some of your lenses but sometimes the adapter will cause vignetting depending on just how small the final circle is relative to the lens element. Many don't like the idea of using a UV or Skylight filter to protect the lens due to softening of the images so do your homework on that before spending money on something you'll abandon. For Polarizers it needs to be a Circular Polarizer, & good ones are expensive, cheap ones aren't worth buying. 

Can't help on the macro side of this because I'm not into macro.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

David
Enthusiast

Your EOS camera, which has a APS-C size sensor, is compatible with any EF or EF-S mount lens. EF-S lenses are not compatible with the 5D, 6D, 1D, and 1Ds series cameras along with the 10D and older cameras.

Here is a list of lens designations from manufactures that are compatible with your EOS body (only for APS-C in bold).

Canon- EF-S and EF

Sigma- DC and DG lenses.

Tamron- Di-II and Di

Tokina- Dx, Dx-II, and FX

cicopo
Elite

Well the good news is that just about anything being sold in the stores (new) in a Canon mount will fit, whether it has an EF-S or EF designation as used by Canon or EF-S comptible mount which Sigma & Tamron use. However if you suspect that down the road you may want to switch to a full frame body try selecting lenses designed as EF mount compatible. 

As for filters most screw onto the end of the lens, so they are usually bought to match the lens they'll go on BUT there are step down & step up adapters so you can share a filter across some of your lenses but sometimes the adapter will cause vignetting depending on just how small the final circle is relative to the lens element. Many don't like the idea of using a UV or Skylight filter to protect the lens due to softening of the images so do your homework on that before spending money on something you'll abandon. For Polarizers it needs to be a Circular Polarizer, & good ones are expensive, cheap ones aren't worth buying. 

Can't help on the macro side of this because I'm not into macro.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

DanJag
Apprentice

Thank you David and cicopo, your answers have been very helpful.

David thank you for the specifics in the lenses, that clears a lot of confusion for me, to have it written out in a list where I can see it like that. And Thank cicopo for the filter help. 🙂

Announcements