cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your go to lens?

mexelmets46
Apprentice

Excluding 70-200 and 24-70 because they are great and of course we all love them, what is that lens that just works like magic for you or does it's job every time, is underrated, overlooked, forgotten, or you're using in an unusual way, and how are you using it?

8 REPLIES 8

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

On my 80D I use my EF-S 15-85 USM the most but the 55-250 STM gets a lot of use too.

On my 5D Mk III my 24-105 USM and 100-400 II seem to get about equal use.

Mike Sowsun

Red_Label
Apprentice
Because I shoot wildlife, aircraft, and the moon almost exclusively... the 100-400 Mk II lives on my 90D nearly full time. Once in a while I'll pick up my Rebel T7 and put my 18-55 or Nifty Fifty to take home shots of my granddaughter or dog. And occasionally I'll put my 70-200 F/2.8 or my 70-200 F/4 on one of the bodies and snap a few shots. But honestly, if I had to, I could easily live with the 100-400 Mk II on my 90D and be happy, since distant outdoor subjects are all that I care to snap pics of. I could easily live with my 8-year old SX40 P&S for the indoor people and pet snapshots if need be. It's been good for that for all of these years.

Red_Label
Apprentice
Sorry... I meant to type 17-55 F/2.8. It's a dust vacuum, but is sharp and quick and I know how to clean it myself. If I used that lens daily, I'd probably be annoyed by its dust magnet reputation.

For now it's the EF 50mm 1.8 STM.

I am considering the EF 35mm f2 IS USM, or the RF 24-105mm f4 L IS  USM if i am jumping into the mirrorless world.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I have found the EF 300 f2.8 to be very versatile and it is an extremely sharp prime that takes the 1.4X extender well.  I bought it primarily for compact field sports when the 400 f2.8 is overkill but it is a great focal length for full frame and light/compact enough that I can comfortably handhold it for long sports events and the image quality it produces seems equal to its 400mm big brother.

A runner up is the EF 200 f2, I use it far more often than I expected.  Any of these three just work beautifully with lightning fast focus.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

mariah1902
Contributor

Is there really a go to lens that we can actually use it for any occasion?. I do not think so. I know what you are talking about but if we think deeply we can never take a lens with us for any lighting condition. Before I go out to take some photos I always think about the lens that I should pick there is no go to lens for me. Is it me only?. 

"Is there really a go to lens that we can actually use it for any occasion?"

Yes ther is!  The question wasn't, "What is your go to lens 100% of the time?"  Everybody has a lens that they seem to use more than any other, most of the time, that is and that is a "go to lens!" For me it is the ef 24-70m f2.8L.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

By far, the EF 50mm f/1.2 L.  I love this focal length.  When eventually moving on to RF equipment, I'll start the set of glass with the RF version of this lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements