cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best lens for shooting fireworks and why?

ericschrader
Apprentice

What is the best lens for shooting fireworks and why? I have the 10-22 that one of your associates recommended.

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz

Any lens can be used to shoot firework. It's not about gears. Even point and shoot camera can shoot firework. But you would need a moderate wide angle lens if you want to capture the scenic also. Your lens work  great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Skirball
Authority

I don’t think fireworks are a lens specific thing.  It depends entirely on your desired composition.  I like using ultra-wides myself and have had success with the 10-22, but that’s just because that was the composition I wanted.  Others may use a zoom lens to get in close.  

For fireworks I usually use mid-sized apertures, so you don’t need a fast lens.  Obviously the sharper the better, but it doesn’t have as much an importance as something like a landscape shot as the majority of your frame is black space.  So really, and lens is fine.

cicopo
Elite

Lens won't be as important as settings. Try different shutter speeds to see which effect you like.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

fpcadiente
Contributor

You will also need a nice Tripod and a remote switch to avoid camera and hand shake since you be using longer shutter speed and smaller aperture.

Announcements