cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM used for? Any good for birds photography?

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

Can someone please let me know what Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM is used for? Can it be used for Birds and Wildlife Photography?

Thanks.

54 REPLIES 54

"That said, keep in mind, I was hiding underneath a small enclosure I built using PVC pipes, covered by canvas to allow me to sneak up to the birds. It was a windy day and the canvas keep flying everywhere, so one hand was occupied holding the thing down."

All, every photographer, have and make excuses. You my friend have arrived. Smiley Happy  Well on your way!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@limvo05 wrote:

The reason I am looking at either a 300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8 is that I could use it with my 2x converter for birds or other wildlife photography, and without the converter for other types of photography and still have the sharpness that I am looking for.

Here is a sample I took with the 70-200 f2.8 without the converter. This is zoomed in at 50% of the original.

I would not use a 2x teleconverter with any of the big primes.  Even the prime that has one built into it only uses a 1.4x teleconverter. I have not used one, but I can definitely see image degradation with the 1.4x III.

What body are you using?  I would recommend a lens that is actually 600mm, of 800mm, over using a teleconverter with either a 300mm or 400mm lens.  But, I do not know what body that you are using.

I use the Sigma 150-600mm "C" with great results with full frame sensor bodies like the 6D, and even with the 1D Mark IV.  But, the Sigma and the 7D Mark II seem to be a marriage destined for divorce.  The combo just simply does not work well for me.  For whatever reason, the focusing is not anywhere near as crisp.as it is with the larger sensor bodies.  I had similar isssues with my T5 before I sold it.  I tried it with my son's 80D, and though not as soft as the 7D2, the images were i little soft just the same.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using 5Ds. So far, I am very happy using the 5Ds with 24-70 ii and 70-200 ii. The 300 or 400 2.8 should give me the extra reach I am looking for. The 500 is simply too big for traveling I would think.

The sample photo was taken with the 70-200 ii. I believe this is cropped at 1:2 ratio.

Flower.png

PhotoGerry
Contributor

Birds?  Taken a couple of days ago with a 5DMk3 and 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM Mark at 400.

BP Eagle.JPG

Announcements