cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly is the difference between these two lenses?

LilithLee
Apprentice

CanonEF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens 
CanonEF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens 

I'm stuck between a rock, and not sure what my best option would be...any help is greatly appreciated!!! Cat Happy
4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

The difference is in the type of motor used to focus the lens. The focus motor in STM lenses are more or less silent to the camera's audio system. This is important when shooting video but not for still photography. This may help.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/24109/what-does-stm-mean-on-a-canon-lens

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

In addition to being "Silent", there are other important advantages to a "Stills" photographer with the STM version.

The STM AF motor changes the design of the entire AF assembly so it is now "Internal Focus" This means that the front element of the lens does not rotate or extend during focus. The focus ring also does not spin by itself during Auto Focus, and you can also make manual adjustments after focus has been achieved. 

The STM version has also been reported to be sharper than the non-STM version. 

These are all very good reasons to consider paying extra for the STM version. 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you both...I knew it had to do with the internal focus. I'm self taught, and just looking at all my options. Thank you so much! 

Cat Very Happy

It is also somewhat faster focusing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements