cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do the experts here think of this lens?

theandies
Enthusiast

Since joining the DSLR ranks I've learned alot here and have come to repect the advise and instruction from the experts on this forum - Thank you.

Anyway, with Christmas coming up I'm looking for an affordable "all purpose" lens for my bag and wanted to get your take on this one:

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

My photography habits are becoming more defined as I get better and better using my T6i.  I shoot nature, sports and anything else I find interesting but mostly sports with some video.  Both in the day and under the lights at night.  I don't want to break the bank (stay in the $300-$500 range) and the description for the lens seems to fit the bill.

Opinions please.

John

34 REPLIES 34

I might add to what the Moderator said, all photography companies do not have nearly as good of CS as Canon.  I have been doing this since the early '70's (with Canon).  I can tell you from experience that some companies have none to no CS support. The worst are the third party manufactures.  The big three Tokina, Tamron and Sigma used to be simply awful but recently Sigma and Tamron have made efforts to improve their CS.

If you are a pro or even a semi-pro, you should be a member of CPS (Canon Professional Service).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No offense, but I have checked the Canon website prior to purchase and a lot of the time it is more expensive than other shops. I buy original and I am an avid Canon user, no other camera will do, but I also like to save as much money as possible on my purchase.

That comes with raising 4 children and learning how to save money....

Hi PhotosByNeva!

No offense taken whatsoever! We expect you to shop around to get the best deal! What I meant from my above post is that we know that not all retailers can offer the same after care with professional photographers in the shop like they used to in the "golden days" of photography, and not everyone has access to (or can afford) the finest photography shops. We're here to support your needs regardless of where you purchase your camera gear! Whether it's from Canon directly, from a local shop, from an online dealer or even from your next door neighbor*! You're our customer as long as you are a member of #TeamCanon! 

*Warranty terms might be different depending on how you acquire your gear. We always recommend purchasing from an Authorized Canon Dealer for the best experience. 

Oh, don't get me wrong! I shop Amazon.com all the time, in fact, I'm a prime member. They don't only sell for themselves but other shops. I get ALL my electronic accessories and camera accessories there. Replacement batteries, accessories for my camera (OEM) at a greatly lower price and because I'm a prime member I get free 2 day shipping on almost everything I buy.

The Verizon car charger is $19.99 through Verizon, at Amazon the same one is $9.99. I save a lot and I ordered my lightning sensor there too. I can compare and I can choose which store I want to buy it from.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@PhotosByNeva wrote:
No shop in my area anymore. I mostly save on Amazon and shop with Ritz Camera. I do shop around, but I also read customer reviews on the businesses.

I have no experience with Amazon.  I do not know what their return policy is, but the places that ebiggs cited have excellent return policies and customer support before, during, and AFTER the sale.  Their support people KNOW the products.  I'm not sure the if the same can be said about Amazon.

They have a great return policy, but if you buy from another store it's not on Amazon, it's on the store you purchased it from. I always read about their return policies before I buy.
Announcements