cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do the experts here think of this lens?

theandies
Enthusiast

Since joining the DSLR ranks I've learned alot here and have come to repect the advise and instruction from the experts on this forum - Thank you.

Anyway, with Christmas coming up I'm looking for an affordable "all purpose" lens for my bag and wanted to get your take on this one:

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

My photography habits are becoming more defined as I get better and better using my T6i.  I shoot nature, sports and anything else I find interesting but mostly sports with some video.  Both in the day and under the lights at night.  I don't want to break the bank (stay in the $300-$500 range) and the description for the lens seems to fit the bill.

Opinions please.

John

34 REPLIES 34

Very nice pic!

@Waddizzle wrote:

I recently picked up that Sigma 150-500, and I love it.  It's a lot heavier than what I am used to, which is why I use the tripod bracket as a "grip" for it, when I am hand holding it chasing after birds.

IMG_2331.Cropped_050.JPG

This shot is from the very first day I used it.  Cropped to about 50%.

With results like that I'm getting one.  Thanks

Me too! I have it on my wish list on Amazon, because I want to verify that I am buying the FULL FRAME version before I buy.

I don't do Amazon.  I guess that I'm too old to understand it enough to use it.  When it comes to photo gear, I buy either directly from Canon, or from my favorite NYC Photo/Video Superstore.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I have it on my wish list on Amazon, ..."

This is my personal opinion and not tied to any certain retailer.  But Amazon would be pretty far down the list as a source for gear.

The top places are B&H or Adorama, again IMHO.  I also use Canon's on-line store quite a bit.  They have outstanding sales from time to time.  You need to check it often.  I also have a local retail "true" camera store that I really like.  I can try before I buy there!  Yes it is more expensive but the service is worth it ot me.

Again this is just my opinion.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is my personal opinion and not tied to any certain retailer.  But Amazon would be pretty far down the list as a source for gear.

The top places are B&H or Adorama, again IMHO.  I also use Canon's on-line store quite a bit.  They have outstanding sales from time to time.  You need to check it often.  I also have a local retail "true" camera store that I really like.  I can try before I buy there!  Yes it is more expensive but the service is worth it ot me.

Again this is just my opinion.

You and I share the same identical opinions.  I only go to two places on line, Canon and B&H.  Their NYC superstore is a chaotic, kid in a candy store experience that every shutter bug should experience at least once in their lifetime.  I've never used Adorama, but I've heard nothing but praise about it. 

Thanks, again for the praise on the photos.  I didn't have a steady hand.  I shake, so I was using the tripod thing-a-ma-bob as a handle.  I believe that I was sitting on top of a large rock when I took that shoot, too.  I had elbow support.

PhotosByNeva
Enthusiast
No shop in my area anymore. I mostly save on Amazon and shop with Ritz Camera. I do shop around, but I also read customer reviews on the businesses.

@PhotosByNeva wrote:
No shop in my area anymore. I mostly save on Amazon and shop with Ritz Camera. I do shop around, but I also read customer reviews on the businesses.

I have no experience with Amazon.  I do not know what their return policy is, but the places that ebiggs cited have excellent return policies and customer support before, during, and AFTER the sale.  Their support people KNOW the products.  I'm not sure the if the same can be said about Amazon.

Amazon's "return" policy is good.  But they aren't a "camera" store and wont have any product knowledge.  In other words... if you think you may end up phoning for support on how to use a product, you're better off buying from a true "camera" store.

You wouldn't be able to get any product support help from Amazon.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

While some Authorized Canon Dealers offer better service after a purchase, you can ALWAYS count on Canon Service and Support to be there for you whenever you need help!

Our 100% free all-American team is comprised of photographers who are happy to help when your gear is acting up, or even when you just need advice on how to get a specific shot! We even have access to every single piece of Canon gear on the market (and I mean all of it).

So, if your only way to purchase your dream camera is via an online dealer, go ahead and pull the trigger! We can help you out with learning to use your gear if you need us! 

Learn a little more about Canon Service and Support at http://bit.ly/CanonService

Announcements