cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do the experts here think of this lens?

theandies
Enthusiast

Since joining the DSLR ranks I've learned alot here and have come to repect the advise and instruction from the experts on this forum - Thank you.

Anyway, with Christmas coming up I'm looking for an affordable "all purpose" lens for my bag and wanted to get your take on this one:

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

My photography habits are becoming more defined as I get better and better using my T6i.  I shoot nature, sports and anything else I find interesting but mostly sports with some video.  Both in the day and under the lights at night.  I don't want to break the bank (stay in the $300-$500 range) and the description for the lens seems to fit the bill.

Opinions please.

John

34 REPLIES 34

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you divide the "long" focal length of the lens by the "short" focal length of the lens (e.g. 18-250 means you'd divide 250 ÷ 18 = 13.9x -- so the difference in magnification from the short to the long end of the lens is nearly 14x.

A typical zoom will have something in the area of 3x to perhaps 5x.  

For example, the 18-55 is almost exactly 3x.  Even the Sigma that Ernie mentioned (150-500) is only 3.3x.

When the zoom range is not trying to be too ambitious (3x to 5x isn't too much) then it's usually possible to create a zoom that does a pretty good job.

When the zoom range tries to get extremely ambitious (10x or more) then that's the sort of lens we think of as a "super-zoom". The primary advantage of such lenses is "convenience" but in almost other other aspects, the less-ambitious zooms will outperform them (optically).

Since the camera was designed to allow for removal and attachment of different lenses, the only time I think it makes sense to use a super-zoom is when space is limited and you can't bring additional lenses.  If you can bring additional lenses, then usually a pair of lenses that cover the range will do a better job than the single lens.

Once upon a time, zoom lenses had a horrible reputation.  If you wanted good images, you used lenses that did not "zoom" at all (aka "prime lenses").  But modern technology, computer optical design software, and much better science in the area of lens optics is now producing zoom lenses that are amazingly good -- in many cases a zoom lens will optically compete with a prime lens with regard to optical quality (although usually the prime lens can offer a much lower focal ratio than the zoom lens.)  

But zoom lenses still have a "sweet spot" in terms of some focal lengths offer sharper details than others -- and the zooms with less ambitious zoom ranges tend to do better overall then the super-zooms.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

PhotosByNeva
Enthusiast
I like to have at least one BIG lens because telephoto is one of my favorite modes of photography and macro.

OK but remember as the focal length gets longer the difficulty factor goes up too.  You must use logical settings and be very steady.  This is a good buy right now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I recently picked up that Sigma 150-500, and I love it.  It's a lot heavier than what I am used to, which is why I use the tripod bracket as a "grip" for it, when I am hand holding it chasing after birds.

IMG_2331.Cropped_050.JPG

This shot is from the very first day I used it.  Cropped to about 50%.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is a very nice shot.  Plus it shows how much the higher res of the 6D gets everything out of this mid-line lens.  At full retail it wasn't such a good by but with the steep discounts and rebates offered on it now, it is a good buy.

Glad you like it and it lookslike you are mastering it. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That is a very nice shot.  Plus it shows how much the higher res of the 6D gets everything out of this mid-line lens.  At full retail it wasn't such a good by but with the steep discounts and rebates offered on it now, it is a good buy.

Glad you like it and it lookslike you are mastering it. Smiley Happy

Thanks, guy.  Coming from you, that means something to me. I've also taken some pretty good moon shoots with it, including the recent lunar eclippse. 

Mastering the lens?  That shot was among the first two dozen shots that I took with it, and it was handheld.  I think i'm getting better at using a DSLR camera, in general.  I've been hearing "great shot" a whole lot lately. Photography is an old hobby, that I have revived lately to get some walking exercise.  I had an old Konica with an old Vivitar Series One, 70--210mm.....the good version of it would seem.  This Sigma is a LOT heavier than that old Vivitar, which is still in near mint condition.

The IS system on the Sigma 150-500 works fairly well for such a long lens [i guess, I have no comparison lens], but it can get into a tug-of-war with the AF system If you're trying to lock focus while moving the camera suddenly.  I can hear it laboring, which cannot be good.  Armed with that knowledge, you can get some pretty decent photos with it.

"That shot was among the first two dozen shots that I took with it, ..."

I do not offer praise lightly as it can reinforce bad habits.  If you are taking that good of photos from the start, you are well above what most can do.  People often forget that besides magnifying the subject 10 times (100mm = 2 x) a 500mm lens magnifies all the problems associated with lenses the same amount.  That is vibration and camera movement, etc.  Not to mention more critical focus.

"The IS system on the Sigma 150-500 works fairly well ..."

IS or OS as Sigma calls it, is not an on or off tool.  It is variable.  It works best when things are best or in other words when you need it least.  It never stops working, persay, it just gets less effective.  It will be at its best at one stop below 'idea' settings.  A little less helpful at 2 stops and so on. However, some people can get good use at far below what others can. This, perhaps, is you!  You must have a pretty steady stance.

"... the AF system If you're trying to lock focus while moving the camera suddenly."

Now of course, focus.  A lens of this type is going to have more issues trying to get good focus.  This is not your 50mm f1.4. It is darker for one thing.  It has father to travel and consequently is going to be slower.  It has less contrast to work with, too.

Botton line is, don't be discouraged if all your photos don't come out as nice as the bird.  It is the way it is.  You give to get.

EB

Oh, one more tip.  You can, and most photographers who shoot big teles, pre-focus.  Learn to judge or estimate distance and set the focus ring close.  Say you are shooting something at infinity for instance,  why make the lens start at MFD?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Oh, one more tip.  You can, and most photographers who shoot big teles, pre-focus.  Learn to judge or estimate distance and set the focus ring close.  Say you are shooting something at infinity for instance,  why make the lens start at MFD?

Oh, I already do that.  In fact, I pre-focus to a known distance and then turn off the AF.  I will have a higher success rate when I am caught by surprise by a bird soaring overhead doing that.  I put the camera into continuous shoot, and slowly turn the manual focus ring, and I almost always wind up with a keeper or two. 

So far, I only AF mostly on stationary  subjects with the big lens.  The AF and OS systems get into a tug-of-war, it seems at times.  I'll turn of OS, and use the AF to pre-focus before I turn it off, and then turn OS back on again....now I'm ready.

The OS on this lens is the old style.  It isn't as sophisticated as the newer generations. It is also slow to operate. You must wait for it to settle down before the shot.  But than again it doesn't cost several thousand dollars so some concession must be made.

Elbows on rocks, is good. Smiley Happy  Whatever works.

EB
Announcements