cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do the experts here think of this lens?

theandies
Enthusiast

Since joining the DSLR ranks I've learned alot here and have come to repect the advise and instruction from the experts on this forum - Thank you.

Anyway, with Christmas coming up I'm looking for an affordable "all purpose" lens for my bag and wanted to get your take on this one:

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3

My photography habits are becoming more defined as I get better and better using my T6i.  I shoot nature, sports and anything else I find interesting but mostly sports with some video.  Both in the day and under the lights at night.  I don't want to break the bank (stay in the $300-$500 range) and the description for the lens seems to fit the bill.

Opinions please.

John

34 REPLIES 34

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have not used that lens, so I cannot speak from experience. But, here's some food for thought.  Don't rush.

I have noticed that my favorite NYC superstore has well over a hundred reviews on it, which tells me that it is an older design.  That fact might explain why it is currently selling at a discount.  Sigma has either introduced a replacement, or is about to do so.

My only experience with Sigma has been with the 150-500, which is also being discontinued and is being sold off at a discount by many vendors.  It is a pretty decent lens, but it can be slow to auto-focus if the lens isn't already close to the focus, which would not be desireable for shooting sports.  The optical stabilizer, "OS", can seem to labor when the lens is moving as you're trying to auto-focus, which is another undesireable feature for shooting sporting events.

Seeing how both lenses are designated "OS HSM", I would suspect that they share common design technology when it comes to focusing, HSM, and optical stabilization, OS.  The 150-500 has been replaced with a faster focusing 150-600mm lens.  I see Sigma has a 18-300mm lens, which I suspect might be the replacement for the 18-250. 

Another facet about the 18-250mm, and the 18-300mm, is that they are both made for APS-C camera bodies, which means that if you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame camera at some future date, then the lens would not be compatible with the FF body.  But, the lens could make a nice package if you sold your old cropped sensor body. 

Deciding whether or not you want EF or EF-S lenses is a significant decision.  The EF-S lenses are, for the most part, less expensive than their EF cousins. which makes them seem very attractive to new Rebel owners.  I think there is a higher percentage of "good" EF lenses, than "good" EF-S lenses.  Probably because of the "L" Series. 

Don't get me wrong, though.  There are some pretty good EF-S lenses out there made by Canon, and probably others.  Think about the future, and not just there here and now.  Hope this helps .... and forces you to re-examine your choices.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Considering that many frown on superzooms & adding in that there are very few that fit full frame & those that do are expensive or old (Canon 35-350 L or 28-300 L IS) that I use & I don't know of any others for Canon at this time. The choices for crop bodies however are varied & decent values considering their versatility but their IQ can be soft at certain lengths. I have owned & used the original Tamron 18-270 VC & it was adaquate for many uses & I've read the new version is a bit better. You can get user samples from several lenses here but keep in mind some buyers always think they have the experience to get the most out of a lens when in fact they don't while others always thing whatever they have bought is perfect.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

But what lenses do you already have?  I assume you have a kit lens, probably the 18-55?  Possibly also the 55-250?

I am not a fan of the big range do-it-all zoom lenses. Image quality compromises are necessary on the optical designs when you try to get a lens to look acceptable at a huge range of focal lengths. 

If if you want a lens to give better image quality, go for a better lens. If you want that on a budget consider a prime lens insteAd of getting another consumer grade zoom. Primes are sharper than zooms, particularly in the affordable range. Primes are also brighter, typically giving you  2 or 3 stops (4x or 8x more light) than a consumer zoom so you can shoot a faster shutter and a lower ISO to get better pictures in dim light.  Their wider apertures also let you get the look of a shallow depth of field which blurs away distracting backgrounds and makes your subject stand out. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am not a fan of the big range do-it-all zoom lenses. Image quality compromises are necessary on the optical designs when you try to get a lens to look acceptable at a huge range of focal lengths."

I basically agree with this statement.  However, the mention of the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens is a fantastic buy right now.  It is being discontinued and deep discounts are available ($400 bucks).  This makes it a 'best buy'.  It is a good lens but not a great lens.  I have had one for a couple years and am pleased with its performance.  I use it on my 1D Mk IIn.  It is built better.  Has better IQ and very much a better lens than the 18-250 you are considering.  Personally I would never even consider to buy that lens (18-250), ever!

Below is a shot with the Siggy at 500mm, at MFD, with my 1D Mk IIn, remember the Mk IIn is an 8MP camera.

_K2N6453.jpg

Your Rebel has nearly three times the resolution of my old 1 series camera!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Right now I have the EFS 18-55mm kit lens and I'm borrowing my brothers EF75-300mm Ultrasonic lens that I'll have to give back soon.  That is why I'm looking for a budget zoom.

Would this lens be good on a 6D full frame? I DO like the all around lenses for the most part because I drive truck and I take a lot of pictures and do not always have the time to be switching.
Call me lazy, but I love them and I have gotten some wonderful pics using them. I went from my 10mp Rebel to my 18mp 6D, I am loving it!

"Would this lens be good on a 6D full frame?"

Which lens?  There were several mentioned and some will not work on your 6D.

EB

The 150-500mm you took a pic with

It would be and outstanding, "a best buy" for a 6D.  But, there is always a but, isn't there?  It is a big lens that sits firmly in the super telephoto category.  This means, it is BIG.

If you truly want one, you need to get it soon as it is a discontinued model. Hence the deep discounts available.

It can do this ...........

_52D1052.jpg

A Waxing Gibbous form a day or two ago.

EB
Announcements