cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the best Value Canon lenses?

merigobe4
Apprentice

I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses, - but what about the best value lenses?

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

What are canon's other best value lenses?

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

For a telephoto when you don't need extremely wide aperture, the 400mm f5.6 is a great value.  Very sharp with fast focus and has the nice integrated metal hood.  I now have Canon's beautiful EF 400 f2.8 but I kept the f5.6 for times when I don't need the wide aperture or extreme sharpness of the f2.8 lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@merigobe4 wrote:

I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses, - but what about the best value lenses?

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

What are canon's other best value lenses?

Value depends on several things:

How appropriate the object is for the purpose - the type of photography one engages in, e.g. a super-telephoto for wildlife, a medium-long for weddings, a walk-around lens, a wide angle for real-estate, a macro lens...  Obviously the answer will vary widely depending on the user, so the question needs to be much more specific.

How the lens will be used:

Does one need a heavy-duty build with weather sealing (at a cost) for long-term, reliable all-weather and professional use, or prefer low cost, or lightness and compact construction for those who don't want to weight and bulk because of age, injury, or for travel or hiking.

Some people value the primes, others value the flexibilty of zooms - so "value" is a very nebulous concept.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses..."

And you have one post.  Kinda hard to get a "few threads" with just one post ain't it?  Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements