Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

What are the best Value Canon lenses?

I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses, - but what about the best value lenses?

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

What are canon's other best value lenses?

Reputable Contributor

Re: What are the best Value Canon lenses?

Frankly it's hard to know what is best value if we don't know the kinds of subjects you are taking and what the output will be.  I look at value as delivering a good cost/benefit number.  The cost is obvious, but the benefit needs to be defined.  Specifically, what does the lens need to deliver for you to produce decent images?

The kinds of subjects you take will define the focal lengths and, in part at least, the aperture.  You quote the 50mm lens as good value, but it would not be so if one was going to take images of birds or tiny insects.  So your target subjects help define the range of focal lengths.

The next thing is output.  Again it's a cost/benefit thing.  If you are going to produce large, high-quality prints then you are going to need excellent glass.  If, however, your intent is to publish on social media, where the output is reduced and most people will view images on small screens, then an expensive lens will likely be overkill.  The peformance is not worth the cost, so it doesn't represent good value.

As a last consideration you have not commented on what the lens will be attached to and what you will continue with.  If you are using a Rebel or other APS-C body then good value can be had from using quality EF-S lenses - the glass in these units is not inferior, they are made of less robust materials and not environmentally resistant like L lenses, but they are a LOT cheaper, so the cost/benefit thing comes into play again.  Finally, if you are using a crop body but will likely upgrade to a full-frame one, then you would get better value from starting with EF lenses to begin with.

Frankly I think you should look at my thread Here on the questions you should ask before buying gear and put some of the answers up so we have better material to respond to.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"I have never been able to enlarge a photograph... I am just interested in the shots" Henri Cartier-Bresson
Highlighted
VIP

"... top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 ..."

A definition in the dictionary is, "the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something."

However it seems your definition is cheap only!  Consider the"usefulness" of a lens. A 50mm or 85mm prime when used on a crop camera has pretty limited uses. It is not important or required to own.  If you solely consider price and rarely use the lens, is it truly a good value? The "importance" and usefulness of lenses has changed over time. 50 years ago a 50mm prime lens was of great value but today the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens would be considered way more useful and important. I would argue that a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, although it cost several times more than a 50mm or 85mm prime, is way more useful and important for a person to have.  Thus it is the better value.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP

@carlos112 wrote:

I've had a few threads on your favourite lenses and canon's best lenses, - but what about the best value lenses?

Obviously top of the pile is the 50mm f1.8 - a staple of anyone getting into primes. I personally love the 85mm f1.8 - just got it and it's a beautiful portrait lens I got it dirt cheap used.

What are canon's other best value lenses?

I think you are looking for "best buy" lenses.  What is "best" would depend a little on what camera body you are using.  Unlike many other manufacturers, you cannot use Canon's lenses designed for APS-C bodies (EF-S), on a full frame sensor body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."