cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What affordable lens should I buy for landscape photography?

WorldView
Apprentice
Hi there!

So after hours and hours of looking for the most ideal lens that matches my criteria, I am quite lost at what lens to choose.

Some background info ( it's quite a story so if you haven't got the time please scroll down, there my question is written down in one sentence )

I am ( I guess ) an advanced amateur photographer and I've had a Canon eos 1100D for several years now; it has been a great camera for me to learn the basics of photography but I can feel the need to upgrade. Unfortunately, my wallet disagrees and after looking for an affordable camera - which, at this time, is a dream I cannot turn into reality yet - I realised that it isn't all about the camera ( although a good quality sensor is definitely important ) but a lot of the picture's quality comes from the glass in front of it; and so, I started looking for a lens that would greatly improve the quality of my ( landscape and architecture, but mainly landscape ) pictures in comparison to my standard 18-55mm IS kitlens.
Because of my APS-C camera, I will need a pretty wide angle lens.
But now I'm lost! I found several lenses that piqued my interest, from Tamron and Sigma and Canon itself, but there were so many reviews for so many different situations, camera and uses, I decided to call for help on a forum. And then of course the Canon Forum would be the best place to look for a satisfying answer!

So, what lens would you recommend if the camera is an APS-C ( Canon eos 1100d ), if the budget doesn't stretch further than €500 ( $566 USD ) and if the main purpose would be landscapes, if possible: close-up photography and architecture, for example; colourful cobblestone streets in an Italian village - now you also know where I'm going on my next holiday 😉

I hope you can help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@WorldView wrote:
Thanks for the replies; I've also considered the Canon EF-S 10-18mm; has anyone got a good third party wide angle lense on their Canon? I've read much about the great quality some of these brands provide, for a nice price.

Hello, I just got in from walking my elderly dog, and noticed a reply had been posted.  I think you will be hard pressed to find better lenses for your Canon DSLR than Canon lenses.  A very strong argument can be made that Canon makes the best lenses in the world.  I understand that NBC is broadcasting the RIO Olympics by using Canon lenses exclusively.

Some of the third party lenses are reported to have great quality.  Some of them do, but those that do are not inexpensive.  Side by side comparisons of Canon and third pary lenses is frequently no contest.  I guarantee you that if you try the Canon 10-18mm you will not be disappointed.  In fact, if you sprung for the 10-22mm you will be turning cartwheels.

IMG_2015_09_190383.WEB.jpg

The above shot was taken with a Rebel T5, and the EF-S 10-22mm lens.  It was shot from a slowly moving, and rocking boat.  I understand that the EF-S 10-18mm has image quality that is at least as good. 

I prefer the 10-22mm because of its' slightly wider range, and 77mm front element.  Many "L" lenses use 77mm front elements, so filters are very interchangeable.  I can invest in one size of filters, instead of multiple sizes, which means it becomes frugal to spend the money in high quality filters.

One last argument in favor of sticking with a Canon lens.  Compatibility.  Some third party lenses experience problems communicating with the camera's AF systems, causing the camera to "malfunction" with the third party lens.  If that isn't enough to convince you, then considier this.  If you use Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, then you quickly discover that your third party lens is not included in the lens correction database, just Canon lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm assuming you have an 18-something kit lens that came with the camera (18-55 or 18-135).

You want a wide angle lens that is 10-something or so. Canon makes a 10-18mm wide angle lens that is good optically. They also have a 10-22 lens that is more robust and maybe a little better optically, but its above your price point..

As you stated, there are also third party lens in that range. Since you can't try them all look at reviews from respected sites. I have the 10-18mm Canon lens and have been very pleased with the images I captured.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I think the best lens for you just may be the Canon EF-S 10-18mm.  It will complement your current zoom lens, and will have noticeably better image quality, too.  When it comes to shooting landscapes, wide angle lenses allow you to capture the most in one shot.

WorldView
Apprentice
Thanks for the replies; I've also considered the Canon EF-S 10-18mm; has anyone got a good third party wide angle lense on their Canon? I've read much about the great quality some of these brands provide, for a nice price.

@WorldView wrote:

Hello, I just got in from walking my elderly dog, and noticed a reply had been posted.  I think you will be hard pressed to find better lenses for your Canon DSLR than Canon lenses.  A very strong argument can be made that Canon makes the best lenses in the world.  I understand that NBC is broadcasting the RIO Olympics by using Canon lenses exclusively.

Some of the third party lenses are reported to have great quality.  Some of them do, but those that do are not inexpensive.  Side by side comparisons of Canon and third pary lenses is frequently no contest.  I guarantee you that if you try the Canon 10-18mm you will not be disappointed.  In fact, if you sprung for the 10-22mm you will be turning cartwheels.

IMG_2015_09_190383.WEB.jpg

The above shot was taken with a Rebel T5, and the EF-S 10-22mm lens.  It was shot from a slowly moving, and rocking boat.  I understand that the EF-S 10-18mm has image quality that is at least as good. 

I prefer the 10-22mm because of its' slightly wider range, and 77mm front element.  Many "L" lenses use 77mm front elements, so filters are very interchangeable.  I can invest in one size of filters, instead of multiple sizes, which means it becomes frugal to spend the money in high quality filters.

One last argument in favor of sticking with a Canon lens.  Compatibility.  Some third party lenses experience problems communicating with the camera's AF systems, causing the camera to "malfunction" with the third party lens.  If that isn't enough to convince you, then considier this.  If you use Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, then you quickly discover that your third party lens is not included in the lens correction database, just Canon lenses.

@WorldView wrote:

Many (most?) of us who started out with 3rd-party lenses have gravitated to Canon lenses as we've become more serious about photography. For example, my wife and I had the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 on our XTi's; now my 7D's and her 7D Mk II use the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. The telephoto lens on my 50D was a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8; my 5D Mk III uses the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Etc.

Alas, that last lens belongs to my employer, and I'll have to give it back when I retire in a couple of weeks. But I'll be watching for a new one to go on sale.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Although I really love my Sigma Art 35mm, I think I agree with going with a Canon lens in this case at least. The price difference between the Canon and any good quality comparable 3rd party lens here in this case is not all that big.  If the difference were bigger I might have had a different answer.

One thing to consider is the good resale value of a Canon lens. If you buy a new one you should be able to sell it later in good condition for 70% of what you paid.  Unless Canon replaces it with a new version making yours the "old model" and somewhat imparting the resale value. Or unless you beat the lens up. 

Or buy a good used copy on Craigslist for 70% of the new price, then shoot with it for years, then sell it for basically the same price you paid, creating essentially a "free rental" or free use for yourself.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

WorldView
Apprentice
Hmm, good arguments, thanks a lot!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
There is no better value for the degree of image quality than the Canon EF-S 10-18 IS STM.

@TTMartin wrote:
There is no better value for the degree of image quality than the Canon EF-S 10-18 IS STM.

... and the lens seems to currently be on sale with Canon's major online retailers at nearly 40% off list price. 

Announcements