cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Travel Lens? I have 24-105 & 70-200 do I need more??

barrisster
Contributor

I am traveling  to Argentina, Iguazu Falls and Rio in few weeks.  I have a 24-105 and f4 70-200.  Should I take my 10-24 wide angle or will these two suffice?  I hate to carry more than I need.  I will take a table top tripod and a few filters.

5 REPLIES 5

pjmacd
Enthusiast
It depends, of course, on what you're going to photograph. It's always great to have the widest possible range of focal lengths, especially a wide angle for landscapes. My other comment would be, if you're taking two fairly large and heavy lenses, is a table top tripod sufficient? You might want to consider a weight tradeoff between the 10-24 and a good lightweight travel tripod. Have a wonderful trip!

Everybody is different.  Unless I was shooting something that needed reach I’d take wide before tele for a sight-seeing tour.  You mention a 10-24, so I assume you’re on a crop sensor.  The 24-105 isn’t very wide.  Personally, I’d take an ultra-wide, the 24-105, and a small light fast prime for night time.  On a full frame I’ll often just take the 24-105 if I’m trying to go light, but it wouldn’t cut it for me on a crop.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You didn't mention what camera body you have. If it is a FF model, the 24-105mm f4 is your choice.

There is no Canon 10-24mm? Did you mean 10-22mm f4? If so, it would indicate you have a crop body so I would take it along also.

If it is a off-brand (10-24) I have no opinion as I have no experience with them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tamron makes a 10-24.  There aren't any 10 - XX zooms for FF frame, hence my assumption he was on a crop.

On a crop body, you'll need a wide angle one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements