cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Canon lens should I use on Safari?

GBELL97
Apprentice

I have the 17-55, 18-200 & macro 60mm.   would i be alright with using them fr safari as i am thinking about getting theTamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens for Canon

or getting the Sigma AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro Canon Fit Lens. i am currently using the Canon 60D but may upgrade before i go as im not goingon safari until july 2016. what lens or lenses would you recomend me using, any help would be apriciated

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I brought several lenses with me when I went to Kenya, but almost exclusively wound up using my 70-200. 

We had no trouble getting close to animals. The lenses you are considering don't seem to offer anything more than your current 18-200 except for longer reach. If you are only getting them for your trip I don't see them being necessary. 

Hopefully others will will join in with their suggestions.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is my 'humble opinion' but your camera is pretty good.  But one of your lenses are not so good, again, IMHO.

If I were you, today, I would buy the Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 super zoom or the Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 'C' model super zoom. I say today because you will need some quality time learning how to use it.  Either of these super zooms are totally hand holdable.

The Canon ef-s 60mm f/2.8 macro usm is a pretty good lens so it should go.  Is that what you have?

Is your current lens the ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 is usm?  If so take it too.

So my list:

EOS 60D

ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 is usm

Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3 super zoom/Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 C

ef-s 60mm f/2.8 macro usm

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Safari?   Hmm, that sounds like it could be a dusty, damp, environment at times.  I would be highly inclined to take lens gear that is weather resistant, sealed against dust and water.  Go with a Canon "L: Series lens.  Take a tripod with legs that are sealed against dust and water.  Take a bag/backpack, or two, that have rain covers, so that you can lay your bag on the ground, if need be.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

paddles10
Apprentice

We took a 5d and a 7d to South Africa with a 70-200 and 70-300 L lenses.  While we got hundreds of great pictures we could have done more with longer glass.  We have a new 100-400 and a 1.4 extender for next summer.  The 150-600 could also be a choice.  Don't forget at least a monopod for the long lense.

Announcements