cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Lines

tatlyne
Contributor

Hi, I'm new to DSLRs and just finding my way around the camera. I'm also practising taking photos with my new telephoto lens (canon: EF 75-30mm) I get a lot of Chromatic aberration and have the correction for it enabled in camera. I'm thinking it's mostly me taking crappy pictures, lol, plus I have an old sd card from an old canon point and shoot (which I'm replacing today). In any case, I'm hoping for help on identifying what these odd brown lines in this photo are (I outlined in yelow) and why they occurred? brown_lines.jpgIt almost looks like a type of shadow from the tree branches? How can I correct for this? Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Those are tree branches.  But they're close enough that they aren't in sharp focus ... so you see them as strange lines that aren't well-defined.

When you shoot, you want to watch the composition not just of your intended subject, but also keep in mind what will show up in the foreground and the background.  It's fairly common to need to change where you position the camera ... or if you have someone with you, ask them to hold the branches out of the way while you get the shot.

With a point & shoot type camera or a camera phone, the physics of the optics (extemely short focal length lenses) means that the depth-of-field is usually very broad ... this causes the foreground & background to be fairly well-defined in most images.  Wtih large sensor / large-lens cameras, you get a shallower depth of field (which can be used to artistic advantage with the right lenses) and it's less clear why you see this stuff.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

@TCampbell wrote:

Those are tree branches.  But they're close enough that they aren't in sharp focus ... so you see them as strange lines that aren't well-defined.

They look like tree branches to me, too.  Whatever they are, they are between the camera and the focused DoF, Depth of Field.  In other words, what you are seeing is normal.  It is the exact opposite of seeing distant background objects OOF, out of focus.  

In this case, objects that are relatively closer to the camera that the focused subject are OOF, just as objects that are relatively further away from the focused subject appear OOF.

A91E6214-70B8-42BE-937D-9BB62615977F.jpeg

This photo is an example of what I mean. Foreground branches are OOF..  It is just not quite as extreme as your example photo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hairs on the sensor.  Clean the sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Really? This is the only pic that the lines are in?

Here is a picture of the front of my dishwasher. Other than the glare spots, are you seeing anything that looks like hair or other debris on the sensor?dishwasher.jpg

It was just a guess and the most easy to correct. Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank-you for your guess Smiley Happy It prompted me to search on it and hense the idea to take a picture of something white to inspect for dust/dirt/hair ... 

Spoiler

That's just bizarre. Viewed at 100% these marks are surprisingly well focused and semi-transparent to varying degrees and never completely opaque. They extend even further into the frame beyond where they're marked in the sample photo. Does your Rebel SL2 have a touch screen LCD?

Yes, it does.

Stephen

Do you have a UV or polarizing filter on your lens? Could these be reflections bouncing back into the lens from additional glass attached to the lens? Just a guess?

Both photos look to have been cropped or resized. Can you upload the originals?  

Exif data says the "brown lines" photo was taken at f/7.1 which wouldn't tend to show dust or hair on the sensor.

Exif data says the "dishwasher" photo was taken at f/22 but shows no dust, hairs or other debris on the sensor. 

I suspect the brown lines are just out of focus branches from the foreground trees. There really is no other explanation. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements