cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking Around Lens for a Rebel T6

AllenP
Contributor

We recently purchased a Rebel T6 kit that came with two lenses, 18-55 and 70-300.  While on vacation this last week, I found that I would like another lens to complement them as more of a walking around lens.  The Rebel is APS-C so a FF would work, but would it be the best lens for it.  Someone suggested that I get like a 24-105 or something in that range.

I'm looking for something that has better zoom than the 18-55, but not as much as the 300 as this is more for walking around and general photos.

5 REPLIES 5

AllenP
Contributor

Funny.  No sooner than I posted this, I saw an article with this info in it.  Thoughts on this?

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Wide Focal Length Range, Great Value, Small, Light, Image Stabilization, Great for Movie Servo AF
The EF-S 18-135 STM is packs a long range of focal lengths into a small, light, image stabilized body. It provides decent image quality and performs especially well when recording video using Movie Servo AF. When purchase in a kit with a DSRL camera, this lens has a great value price tag.

That's a good choice & rather sharp lens for the money.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@AllenP wrote:

Funny.  No sooner than I posted this, I saw an article with this info in it.  Thoughts on this?

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Wide Focal Length Range, Great Value, Small, Light, Image Stabilization, Great for Movie Servo AF
The EF-S 18-135 STM is packs a long range of focal lengths into a small, light, image stabilized body. It provides decent image quality and performs especially well when recording video using Movie Servo AF. When purchase in a kit with a DSRL camera, this lens has a great value price tag.

I notice that “DSLR” is misspelled.  

Make sure that you buy big ticket items from a factory authorized dealer.  I do not advise buying big ticket items on Amazon or eBay, because you cannot always tell if the seller is reputable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have to agree that as a walk around lens for a decent price the EF-S 18-135 IS STM is a great choice.  I have a couple and they have consistently rendered great shots.  On a crop sensor such as your Rebel, the equivalent focal range (i.e. what the sensor "sees") will be the Equivalent of a 29-216mm focal range, which is a bit lean on the wide angle side.

If you want to have more capacity at the wide angle end another great lens is the EF-S 15-85mm IS USM ens.  It has excellent performance and I have seen it called the "secret L lens" because of its optics.  It's equivalent focal range is 24-136mm.  I have also had some great shots with mine.NZ Auckland Muriwai Gannet Colony Sunset 07.jpgl

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I would favor the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.  Much better suggestion.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements