cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vignetting in corners of EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM

miguelmarsh
Apprentice

I have an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM attached to my 5D Mark IV. When I'm zoomed in, I get vignetting in the corners of the image. Why? Is there something that I can do to avoid this? Thanks.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hmm, sample of the problem?  Most of the time any vignetting can be corrected in post editing without notice. Just apply lens correction data. Your 5D4 might be able to correct it in camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

The OP says they get vignetting when they zoom IN.  If that means towards the long end of the focal range (which is the normal one) why would one get vignetting at all?  It would be more likely at the 24mm end, i.e. zooming out.

Is the lens hood being used, or a screw-on filter?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This is common with many lens and as ebiggs notes, it is easily corrected via lens correction in post.  Canon DPP does a fine job of this and I am sure Photoshop does also but I do basic RAW conversion and lens optimizing in DPP before going to Adobe.

This isn't one of the Canon lenses I have used but a review states at the wide angle setting you lose about 1EV in the corners wide open decreasing to around 1/2EV as the focal length is increased.  Like most other lenses, the vignetting decreases as the aperture is narrowed. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. You are right. I get the vignetting in the corners when I'm zoomed out (24mm), not in. It's strange. I just don't get it with my other lenses. Anyway, I will try the post editing that you suggested. Problem solved.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Hmm, sample of the problem?  Most of the time any vignetting can be corrected in post editing without notice. Just apply lens correction data. Your 5D4 might be able to correct it in camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The OP says they get vignetting when they zoom IN.  If that means towards the long end of the focal range (which is the normal one) why would one get vignetting at all?  It would be more likely at the 24mm end, i.e. zooming out.

Is the lens hood being used, or a screw-on filter?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This is common with many lens and as ebiggs notes, it is easily corrected via lens correction in post.  Canon DPP does a fine job of this and I am sure Photoshop does also but I do basic RAW conversion and lens optimizing in DPP before going to Adobe.

This isn't one of the Canon lenses I have used but a review states at the wide angle setting you lose about 1EV in the corners wide open decreasing to around 1/2EV as the focal length is increased.  Like most other lenses, the vignetting decreases as the aperture is narrowed. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. You are right. I get the vignetting in the corners when I'm zoomed out (24mm), not in. It's strange. I just don't get it with my other lenses. Anyway, I will try the post editing that you suggested. Problem solved.

Ken Rockwell did see some at 24 mm, especially at f/4:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/24-105mm-ii.htm

Announcements