cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using tripod and photos are slightly in different positions

rubensantos
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I have been working with a Canon 60D and a 18-135mm Canon lens. When I need to photograph interiors and need different expositions, I measure light in different zones, put my camera on a tripod, focus where I want and turn the auto focus off. I take one photo then I only change the speed and take the second one. I don't know why but the second photo is slightly different, just several milimiters changed relatively to first photo position. Am I doing something wrong? I have been googling it but didn't find anything. This lens is 4 years old. Is it possible that is due to lens wear?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@rubensantos wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have been working with a Canon 60D and a 18-135mm Canon lens. When I need to photograph interiors and need different expositions, I measure light in different zones, put my camera on a tripod, focus where I want and turn the auto focus off. I take one photo then I only change the speed and take the second one. I don't know why but the second photo is slightly different, just several milimiters changed relatively to first photo position. Am I doing something wrong? I have been googling it but didn't find anything. This lens is 4 years old. Is it possible that is due to lens wear?

Try using an remote shutter release and use the camera's 'exposure bracketing' feature so you don't have to touch the camera between shots.

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah, you are moving the camera.  You need the remote shutter and turn on bracketing in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You are suggesting when I change speed I may change camera position. It makes sense, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@rubensantos wrote:

Hi everyone,

Try using an remote shutter release and use the camera's 'exposure bracketing' feature so you don't have to touch the camera between shots.

You are suggesting when I change speed I may change camera position. It makes sense, thanks.

And if you don't have a remote shutter release you can just set the 2 second delay in shooting mode. That way even if pressing the shutter button makes the camera shake, it will have settled down and it is still 2 seconds later when it takes the picture.  

That at plus bracketed shooting and you should be ok. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah, you are moving the camera.  You need the remote shutter and turn on bracketing in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If your lens re-focused between shots then you may be noticing the effect of lens "breathing".  Altering the focus elements in a lens will very slightly alter the angle of view (focal length) of that lens.   For some lenses this is very significant... for other lenses the effect is quite significant.

To avoid, after focusing the lens, switch off the auto-focus feature (the AF/MF switch on the side of the lens) to avoid refocusing between shots.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have explained that in the text above.

Announcements