cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Canon 100-400mm lens on Wildlife safari soon - can I hand-hold or is tripod always preferable?

henslens
Contributor

I am going on a camping safari in a 4WD truck in Africa soon  - not sure how easy it will be to manoevre a tripod - should I still be able to get sharp images with the IS if hand-held assuming I can use a high enough shutter speed or should I always try and use a tripod/monopod? (or lean on the truck window ledge failing that?)

If using the tripod / monopod, should I still be using the IS? I haven't really come to terms with this function yet (or lens, I'm sorry to say). I have often got disappointing results with the autofocus.

Thanks.

'You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream...'
C.S. Lewis
22 REPLIES 22

Have a great trip & PLEASE let us know how it all went.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

diverhank
Authority

I shoot mostly BIF (birds in flight) and I rarely use a tripod.  As long as the shutter speed is at 1/800 or faster you don't need a tripod or even IS.  My lens is a 400mm f/5.6L which doesn't even have IS.  I like my mobility and will only use a tripod when light is low.  For some reason, I'm not warm towards monopod...I usually can find something to brace myself and the camera with.

The 100-400mm is small and light (relatively speaking) and usually are used hand-held.  The 100-400mm lens has a 2nd generation IS and when you mount it on a tripod you need to turn IS off or it will be worse.  But then if you are on a moving vehicle, IS will be OK even on a tripod.   I've never been on a safari so it's tough to say...I've seen pictures ranging from a 4WD having a single person to some having quite a few people packed in.  You need to find out which kind you are going to be on.  In a sardine situation a tripod will be very tough.  Even a monopod will be very tough, especially when the action is on the wrong side of the 4WD.  I think a bean bag is probably a better solution.  You can brace the camera pretty well on it but when you have to, you can maneuver over  other people without a tripod or monopod.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

I am a wildlife photographer and have used the EF 100-400mm L IS lens (handhold) on many photo shoots around the world in jeeps, zodiacs, small boats, etc. IMO, together with the EF 70-300mm L IS lens, they are the most versatile, variable zoom lenses Canon has in their lineup, even taking into consideration their 'slow' speed. No lens is perfect, but for mobility and versatility, the 100-400mm is hard to beat especially when used with the EOS-1D X, with its superior high ISO performance and lighting fast AF lock. I always set my lens with IS on and when photographing wildlife, use AI Servo full time. If you are of average built and weight and have enough endurance, I won't even bother with a tripod unless you are bringing Super Telephoto lenses. A high quality monopod and bean bag for insurance is OK. The real trick besides hardware is technique and a lit bit of post processing. Combine that with a copious amount of luck and you will get 'killer' shots in Africa. Good luck. For more info and tips on hardware and technique, visit my website. http://MichaelDanielHo.com  

Announcements