cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Auto Focus with a Tripod

RoadRunner_1970
Contributor

What is the recommendation for use of auto focus with a tripod and wireless remote shutter release ?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It depends on the subject. If autofocus could be "fooled" by distracting elements (i.e. shooting a bird in a tree where branches could "steal" the focus) then switch to manual. If AF would work handheld then no reason to switch to MF.

If the lens has Image Stabilization check the lens manual. Some require IS to be switched off when on a tripod.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In addition to what John posted, it would depend upon what else YOU are doing with the camera. 

Depending upon the focus mode and focus selection points, you may want to manual focus if the AF does not give you what you want.  If I am using LiveView on a tripod, I almost always manually focus because I can zoom in on a specific part of the frame and set my focus there.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I use the tripod in two situations...family portraits and shooting wildlife that are more or less cooperative, so I think I will use the MF for both situations. Thanks for the great info!

That is a great idea to use live view! Hadn't thought about that. I will plan on trying that ! Thanks so much for the great info !!

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It depends on the subject. If autofocus could be "fooled" by distracting elements (i.e. shooting a bird in a tree where branches could "steal" the focus) then switch to manual. If AF would work handheld then no reason to switch to MF.

If the lens has Image Stabilization check the lens manual. Some require IS to be switched off when on a tripod.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I use the tripod in two situations...family portraits and shooting wildlife that are more or less cooperative, so I think I will use the MF for both situations. Thanks for the great info!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In addition to what John posted, it would depend upon what else YOU are doing with the camera. 

Depending upon the focus mode and focus selection points, you may want to manual focus if the AF does not give you what you want.  If I am using LiveView on a tripod, I almost always manually focus because I can zoom in on a specific part of the frame and set my focus there.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is a great idea to use live view! Hadn't thought about that. I will plan on trying that ! Thanks so much for the great info !!
Announcements