cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade suggestions for Action shots?

Annon
Apprentice

Hello all! Thank you for taking the time to look at my post (and hopefully get some great suggestions!). I am a proud, and newly recent, owner of an EOS Rebel T5, with the EF-S 18-55 IS II starter kit. I've been pretty happy with the 18-55, but I find myself desiring more. I'm the acting photographer for an Equestrian team that focuses more on horseback games and jousting. So, as you can imagine, lots of movement. I've been doing decently with what I have, and I've been happy with most of my timing, but I can't get as close as I need to with the 18-55.

I have been reading up on most of the posts that would closely apply to horseback riding/action shots, but I'm really hoping that there's someone out there that can point me in the right direction as far as what lens might benifit me the most. I've really enjoyed reading some of these posts too, lots of hints, tips and technical stuff that I hadn't really taken into account.

I've seen a lot of people ask, "what kind of budget are you working with", so I'm gonna throw this out there to get it out of the way. I have a lower end budget, I know I won't be able to afford some of the top notch stuff, or else I would have bought a better camera from the get go (not saying that I'm not happy with the T5, I just know that there are better high end cameras out there). Lets say that my limit is $400 for right now, walking out and buying a new (or used) lens.

But any way, back to the point, I hope to hear some helpful advice! Thanks!

Also, I'll attach a photo that I took so you can kinda see what I'm working with.IMG_5469.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority

this.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/269492?WT.mc_id=C126149

This is is a Canon 70-200 f/4 (non IS) for $519.00 at the Canon refurb  store.  

That is one seriously sharp lens at a serious bargain price.  It will continue to be a great piece of glass later too, if you decide to buy new bodies in future, and at that price you can also sell the lens on and get almost all your money back.

i have shot jousting ar rennaisance fairs several times with my own 70-200 and it is pretty much the perfect focal range even on full frame.  On your Rebel it is 1.6x longer so you should be perfect.

that lens won't last long at the refurb store so grab it if you want it. Mir could be 6 months before one reappears there.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

this.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/269492?WT.mc_id=C126149

This is is a Canon 70-200 f/4 (non IS) for $519.00 at the Canon refurb  store.  

That is one seriously sharp lens at a serious bargain price.  It will continue to be a great piece of glass later too, if you decide to buy new bodies in future, and at that price you can also sell the lens on and get almost all your money back.

i have shot jousting ar rennaisance fairs several times with my own 70-200 and it is pretty much the perfect focal range even on full frame.  On your Rebel it is 1.6x longer so you should be perfect.

that lens won't last long at the refurb store so grab it if you want it. Mir could be 6 months before one reappears there.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Thanks Scott! I'm glad you saw my post, since you have experience with these kinds of pictures. I'll look into getting one of those lens as soon as I can. Thanks!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have done DSLR 101 classes for years.  Most Rebel owners, like your T5, are exactly like you.  They want a better than average camera.  They want more control and features than a iphone but do not want to break the bank getting it.  Correct?

You have a good start and a most favorite choice by a large margin.  I see more Rebels than all the other brands combined.

The ef70-200mm f4 is certainly a choice but it misses on two fronts.  One it is over your $400 cost limit and it doesn't have IS.  IS for the amatuer photographer is a big plus.  Even for us more advanced! Smiley Happy

Your choice now is to either up your budget a little or possibly look at the used market.  I only recommend buying used lenses if you can test it thourghly on your camera.  Used EF lenses are pretty rugged.

Recently I picked up a Tamron Auto Focus 200-500mm f/5.0-6.3 Di LD SP FEC (IF) used for $350. This is a good lens. It is not a great lens!  It is in line with your Rebel kit lens, however.  It meets one of your goals, price, but still doesn't have IS.

Last year I bought a Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM used which has IS (Sigma calls it OS) for $450.  A little over your price goal but has imagine stabilation.  It is a very good lens.

In the Canon line in used glass, the value is higher.  They are made to work with your camera and will have more value if you decide to sell it.  It may be diffucult to get into the $400 range.

KEH is a big well know used equipment store.  They will be a little higher cost but they offer a return and a small warranty.

But most camera stores have a used department.  Local ones will even allow you to try it out first.  A big plus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If the sample image is representative, he is going to struggle with a lens so long that it starts at 200mm and goes up, which of course frames like 320mm on a Rebel. Too long.  

Unless he can shoot from a long way away, he won't be able to get a horse and rider in the shot. A tight headshot of a guy riding a horse, sans horse, loses some of the drama, I think.  ;). But then if he shoots from a long way back, then he is getting the backs of the crowd's heads and nothing but the heads of the horse and rider visible above the crowd. 

Having a great lens and also having IS would be nice but it is not anywhere near the $400 budget. I think the refurb big white "L" glass is leagues above something like an EF-s 55-250 zoom.  I would assume that shooting outdoor daytime shots of horses running, he will be well above the reciprocal range of 1/112th to 1/320th shutter speed just to freeze the motion, so the IS should matter not.  

If he is willing to give up on the beautiful sharpness, the lovely color rendering, the solid build and great quality of a big white "L" lens at a steal of a price, then the EF-s 55-250 IS would do the job too.  ....It's just that I actually owned a 55-250 and I never thought it was sharp enough.  It almost never seemed to achieve what I thought was great sharpness.  My 70-200 white lens, however, seems to be incapable of taking a shot that is not impressively sharp, so it was not user error on my part.

Scott

Announcements