cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Tamron 24-70mm f2/8

manl4747
Apprentice

First, I am considering getting a newer canon body (currently EOS5Ti) and not sure what to upgrade to but looking at EOS 80D. 

With that said, I currently own a Tamron 24-70 mm f/2.8. I love this lens but was wondering what would be an upgrade or what would give me the same abilities to have wide focus capability? I really like this lens but it is so heavy and I mainly photograph travel pictures of buildings, nature, etc. 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you think the camera/ and lens combination is a heavy weight on the camera strap around your neck, you're correct.  I only use a camera strap as a safety mechanism, in case I drop the camera for some reason.  You may want to consider a sling type of strap, which goes over the shoulder.  I use a Back Rapid Sport, but there are less costly straps.

Most high quality DSLR lenses have a little weight, especially the full frame lenses.  Any upgrade would likely be just as heavy, if not heavier.  A good upgrade candidate would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8L IS USM.  It is a "heavy" lens, which is currently on sale at clearance prices.  I just ordered one as holiday gift for someone.  The 17-55mm range is better suited for walking around with an APS-C body like the T5i, or an 80D

But, is there a particular focal length that you use most often for your travel pictures?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Agree with everything wadizzle said and then some. Man Happy The Canon (24-70) is the lightest of the bunch, since it doesn't include IS.

Both the Tamron and Sigma (which I have) are hefty due to this addition.  My sigma is the heaviest of the group.  It doesn;'t bother me however.  I also use a Sports Breathe for daily carry. 

If you are going to stick with APS-C, then buy the 90D and a APS-C specific lens.  You'll be able to sel lthe G2 easily to offset the purchase. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" A good upgrade candidate would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8L IS USM. "

This is not an upgrade from the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8.  So, forget that, it is more of a even trade if IQ was your goal. And, if weight is, it is also pretty close.

"I really like this lens but it is so heavy ..."

Perhaps a different camera format is in order. Check out the P&S line. For instance the Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Digital Camera.  There are others, too.  They have almost every feature, even more, than your T5i has and are smaller and lighter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements