Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Ultra Wide Zoom

Hi There ;

I have a 5D Mark 4 with 24-70 2.8 , and 50mm 1.4.
I do just "general hobbyist"  photography and was  wondering if an Ultra wide zoom would be useful or just extra weight in the bag ?

The 11-24 seems hard to justify for the price if it's not in pretty consistent use.

There doesn'tappear to be much in the way of affordable choices.

Thanks for your time .

Bill

Respected Contributor

Re: Ultra Wide Zoom

Unless you are running into situations where a more general lens doesn't work for you, then it is just extra weight and expense for you.  If you find yourself in a situation (like interior shots) or a landscape where you need the extreme field of view and your current lens doesn't allow the setup you want, then it is time to think about another lens.

I have owned an EF 17-40 f4  for a long time and I like what it provides, I don't miss the extra stop in a wide angle lens but if you need f2.8 then the 16-35 f2.8 is worth considering.  Most general users aren't likely to use the widest end of a 11-24 on a full frame very often.  Most of the time for hiking and general outdoor use my 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 glass covers what I need but I have taken a fair number of images with the 17-40 both inside and out.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for the insight. I was thinking along the same lines
Forum Elite

In my field of work I could not afford to say, I wish I had a more WA lens.  So I have lenses from 8mm to 600mm.  Now as a retired photographer I find the more wide lenses almost as much fun to use as their big brother super tele lenses.

For work, this shot was with a 15mm lens.

ocb_edit_facebook.jpg

For leasure, this was sot with a 12mm lens.

IMG_0542.JPG

So, I consider a WA or a UWA lens mandatory and just as useful just differently.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the insight. Will keep on doing research and see where I end up.
Forum Elite

I don't know what exactly you are looking for but a fine low cost alternative, I rarely recommend off brand lenses but this time I do, check out the Tokina opera 16-28mm f/2.8 FF Lens. I guess not really a UWA but a very nice lens. It can get you some WA experience to see what you really want or need. It may be all you need!

EB
Super Contributor

EB, interesting use of the lens. Where was the photo of the buildings taken? Reminiscent of the old Western forts.

Forum Elite

[ Edited ]

For Scott, Kansas. click here

EB