cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV filter or CP to protect lens?

limvo05
Rising Star

Hello,

Just bought my first Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM lens. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advises on either using a UV filter or CP to protect the lens? I am leaning toward the latter, i.e. CP as it dubs as both lens protector and CP functions. Also, what filter brand would you recommend? I hate to have the filter distorts the lens sharpness.

Thanks,

LV

29 REPLIES 29

Get the CP (a good one, for such a good lens), but don't leave it on all the time. Even at its brightest setting, it will have some effect on incoming light. And because of the way polarized light occurs in nature, the effect often won't be the same over the entire frame.

Unless you're going to be photographing in a sandstorm, I wouldn't try to use a protective filter. Some will disagree, but I think that under normal conditions a protective filter is, at best, nearly useless.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Unless you're going to be photographing in a sandstorm, I wouldn't try to use a protective filter. Some will disagree, but I think that under normal conditions a protective filter is, at best, nearly useless.

Yeah, I am on of those that disagree with the opinion that “protective” filters are not useful.  They are, but only the clear ones, IMHO.  I do not consider UV, CP, or ND filters to be “protective filters.”  Those filters are used for effect, not protection.  They do not have the all-purpose versatility of a Clear filter.

Last month, my son took his toddler out to the park for some play time and photographs.  He was using a 7D2 and the 18-135mm lens.  On the drive to the park, he had to slam on the brakes, and the camera bag went flying.  When he arrived at the park, he discovered that the B+W filter was cracked, but the lens and camera seemed to operate just fine.  He never did explain what happened to the lens cap, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is the filter you need, the B+W 77mm Clear MRC 007M Filter.  You can use the B+W 77mm UV Haze MRC 010M Filter and I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.  However in certain situations you might see a tiny bit if you really pixel peep.

You don't want to use a CP for a protecto filter.  Other than an ND or possibly a CP, the protecto filter are the only ones that have not become obsolete.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you both for responding and giving suggestions.

My initial thought was not to use any protective covers over the lens as they might impare the sharpness of the lens. On the other hand accident can happen and you'll never know when.

Anyway, here's the setup. I have the 5Ds. A 24-70 2.8 mark ii, and now this canon! I would like to be able to both lenses with the filter sets I have from Lee. Wondering if putting a protective filter on the lens would preventing me from mounting the Lee filter holder on them? Would I'll be introducing any adverse effect having Lee and the protective filter on the lens?

Thank you all,

LV

Thanking you for your advise. I am curious what are the differences between B+W 77mm Clear MRC 007M Filter and B+W 77mm Clear MRC 007M Filter. Both seems to have very good rating? Thanks!

@limvo05 wrote:

Thanking you for your advise. I am curious what are the differences between B+W 77mm Clear MRC 007M Filter and B+W 77mm Clear MRC 007M Filter. Both seems to have very good rating? Thanks!

I only use the Nano versions of the B+W Clear filters.  The colors in my images are great.  I can leave the Clear filter in place all of the time, indoors and out.  It is far safer and easier to clean a filter than it is to clean the front element of an expensive lens.

Would you recommend this B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)?

@limvo05 wrote:

Would you recommend this B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)?

B+W makes great filters.  I only use the B+W XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano filters.  Anything besides Clear is not a “protective” filter in my book.  A UV Haze filter fills a specific shooting scenario, as [do] CP and ND filters.  A UV would not be suitable for general purpose photography, IMHO.  It would not be useful indoors when shooting with a flash, for example.

Besides, the sensor assembly in nearly every DSLR has a UV filter built into it.  Technically, you should not need a UV filter.  I used to have UV filters on my lenses, and I could never seem to get WB looking quite correct.  Once I switched to the Nano Clear, suddenly my colors looked brighter and more properly balanced.

The Nano coating is an extra top layer that causes moisture to bead up, instead of smearing, so that it can be more easily wiped away, such as when you are cleaning it.  I could be imagining things, but the filters never seem to get dirty, except when my fingers rub on them when I put a lens cap in place.  I think the filters have anti-static properties, so dust does not cling.

I would second that. The B+W 007M is excellent for protective purposes. The only caveat is make sure you buy a genuine one or in other words choose an authorized dealer. There are many fakes out there. You can find Schneider Optics authorized dealers here.

Announcements