cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Filters, Polarized Filters

juzan42
Contributor

Does anyone have some good reference/reading material that you can share with me, I would like to experiement with filters. Ive googled some stuff but did not find strong material. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

70D, T3i
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 10-18mm
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro
EF 50mm f/1.8
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
CS6, Lightroom 5.7
16 REPLIES 16

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

I am not trying to say this is good or bad. Not trying to defend it nor deny it.  If someone should use PS or not.  It is up to them.  This technology is moving very fast.  The newest PS has Camera Shake and Blurring correction.   Does it work?  Sorta but this is the first attempt. It will get better just like polarizing filter effects and the rest get better and better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A sample of double exposure and I am no Ben Wilmore with Photoshop but I do know my way around.  I wanted a picture of this barn and I want to be able to see insdie the door.  Well the inside is several stops underexposed from the outside so what to do?  Two shots!  One for the barn and one for the inside.  Stack them in PS.  Easy, right?  A filter in this case would not be of much help.

combined doorway.jpg

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A sample of double exposure and I am no Ben Wilmore with Photoshop but I do know my way around.  I wanted a picture of this barn and I want to be able to see insdie the door.  Well the inside is several stops underexposed from the outside so what to do?  Two shots!  One for the barn and one for the inside.  Stack them in PS.  Easy, right?  A filter in this case would not be of much help.

(Pictures omitted) 

The issue under discussion was whether a polarizing filter can do things that Photoshop can't. The point you're apparently making - that Photoshop can do things that a filter can't - was never in dispute. But it's irrelevant to the original issue.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob

I think if you read Tim's post. you will notice it has morphed a bit.  Not unusual, plus this is just another point that renders filters less useful in the digital and PS era.  It is a take or leave it sample as you wish.

EB

Bob

I don't suspose you have heard or used the common phrase among photographers, "sell the fake!"

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob

I don't suspose you have heard or used the common phrase among photographers, "sell the fake!"

Bite your tongue, Ernie! We photographers don't deal in fakesSmiley Tongue

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Smiley Very Happy  Sure we do!

EB
Announcements