cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripod for EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

SHB2019
Contributor

I am looking for a recommendation of a tripod to support this heavy lens without toppling over.  Any suggestions?

30 REPLIES 30

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Well 400mm isn’t the most practical FL if it was your only lens. But for what they are intended for, it is good. You need to use it a lot and shoot a lot. The first shots may not be the best but it will improve with the experience.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yep!  Have a great day.  Thanks again.

It could be the camera store guy felt the need to sell you a tripod 🙂

I am pretty sure the tripod collar for my 400 f5.6 has never been out of its box.  It really is a delightful lens both in terms of handling and results.  This was a soccer image shot with the 400 f5.6 a few weeks after getting my 1DX II back in 2018.  I had shot the starting lineup from the east side of the field and hadn't gotten back to the desirable side of the field yet so this was taken with pretty ugly backlighting but the 400 f5.6 still produced a good image with this poor technique.

The more you use that lens the more you will like it.  And Ernie is exactly right on cheap tripods.  A friend bought one a couple of years ago and it was as wobbly as a drunk photographer.

Rodger

AQ9I5072.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Love the shot! 

I think my comments at sports events about the great lenses is what gave my husband and son the idea that a super lens would be great.  Funny thing is, they thought they had purchased a zoom lens not a fixed lens.

"A friend bought one a couple of years ago and it was as wobbly as a drunk photographer."

Oh no, not that bad!!! Smiley Surprised

EB

"Funny thing is, they thought they had purchased a zoom lens not a fixed lens."

Two points.  One, most of the great sports photograhs you see and admire are shot with a prime lens and not a zoom. And, two, most people shoot their big zooms at the far end of the FL range anyway. Might as well had been a prime!  So, there you are primes are a good choice.

EB

This is a case where a tripod is needed, a Canon EF 800 f5.6 with a tiny looking 5DS attached.

I can handhold the EF 800, but not comfortably, for a few minutes.

RodgerEF 800 5DS.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Wow! What a set up.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your photos using your new EF 400 f5.6!  It certainly isn't inexpensive but it is a true bargain for what it delivers and it will help you create some great photos.  I had a 1D Mark II when I bought mine which was very ISO limited (very ugly above ISO 800) but with the current camera bodies which perform so well at higher ISO, you can keep the shutter speed fast enough for sharp handheld photos under a very wide range of lighting conditions.

I also really like the way the metal lens hood is integrated into the EF 400 f5.6.  By comparison the EF 800 is like most Canon lenses and has a separate hood but with that lens it is made of carbon fiber to save weight and retails for $700 which is a bit of an "L surcharge premium" even by Canon standards.  I am VERY careful not to hurt that lens hood.

Rodger

I'll be sure to post them so that you and others can critique. 🙂
Announcements