cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tokina 800mm F8 manual lens

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

I was on ebay one day and sore a 500mm lens going cheap for around £100 I thought its worth a look. When it turned up it was a 800mm F8 lens had some fungus but the seller cleaned it for me. What do you guys think I made a video of it please tell me what you think of it?

https://youtu.be/EvB7UtxF3Ps    Part one

https://youtu.be/Rw1zjUav33I     Part two

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would probably buy it. Smiley Wink  But my wife and my friends think I am a nut case for having so many lenses.  However, I would not recommend anyone else buy it.  Unless you just like to play with this stuff like I do.  It can't be considered a serious contender today.

I have a couple of the old Canon FD 'Great White' lenses. The best ever made FD lenses.  Not cheap. I have tried to convert them to EF but it isn't a good alternative.  Besides the trouble of the actuall conversion, which isn't cheap, they are hard to use.  They have CA so post is mandatory.  They do work better if your camera can make use of a manual focusing screen.

Curious?  How did the seller remove or clean the fungus?  I doubt it is truly gone.

BTW, all lenses move when you focus them. It is just that happens internally on most lenses.  You actually change the focal length of the lens.   This can be and is a problem on certain lenses.

Let me know how you get along with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I thought this was one of the mirror lenses (basically a catadioptric lens much like a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope (SCT) would use) but it looks like it's basically an achromatic 800mm refractor (which woudl explain the CA / color-fringing.)

In your video the contrast is poor, but you can boost that in post processing by stretching the historgram (set the black point & white point and you're there.)

Looks like could probably have some great fun with that.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements