cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro Lens

RPCrowe
Apprentice

I use an older Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro (not the SV model) which I love.  However, the camera's EXIF data recognizes this lens as a Canon 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6.  How can I change the EXIF to read the correct lens or to read no lens at all rather than the incorrect model?

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Use ExifTool. There is no way to do it in the camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Why? It doesn't matter.  DPP4 won't correct for it and LR lets you select which lens correction you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Why? It doesn't matter.  DPP4 won't correct for it and LR lets you select which lens correction you want.

Yup, you’re right.  AND.  Does not LR allow you to overwrite the EXIF data, too?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

RPCrowe,

If you want support for that lens, you're going to have to pick a 3rd party program for post processing and get them to add it.

Its not supported in LR or Camera RAW.  Not supported in PhotoLab (DxO).  Only the "SV" model is supported in Affinity Pro

I sent you a PM with some links.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am not looking for support.  It is just a Pita every time I post an image on this site and the wrong lens pops up,,,

@shadowsports wrote:

RPCrowe,

If you want support for that lens, you're going to have to pick a 3rd party program for post processing and get them to add it.

Its not supported in LR or Camera RAW.  Not supported in PhotoLab (DxO).  Only the "SV" model is supported in Affinity Pro

I sent you a PM with some links.

Perhaps not.  I would not know.  But, I do know that LR allows you to build your own correction profile.

@RPCrowe wrote:

I use an older Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro (not the SV model) which I love.  However, the camera's EXIF data recognizes this lens as a Canon 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6.  How can I change the EXIF to read the correct lens or to read no lens at all rather than the incorrect model?

The mis-identification of the lens is clearly a bug, but is it the fault of the camera or of the photo editor you're using? To find that out, you need to try it on more than one camera and with more than one photo editor. If it's in the camera, Canon should correct it in the next firmware release (and would, I think, want to do so). If it's in the editor, that should be fixable as well, assuming that the authors of the software care enough.

A third possibility, much less likely than the other two, is that the lens has successfully fooled the camera into thinking that it's really a Canon lens. I suppose Canon would want to fix that too, but it might be more of an undertaking. If it required a change to how their lens reports itself, older copies of that lens would presumably be mis-identified in the future.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@RPCrowe wrote:

The mis-identification of the lens is clearly a bug, but is it the fault of the camera or of the photo editor you're using? To find that out, you need to try it on more than one camera and with more than one photo editor. If it's in the camera, Canon should correct it in the next firmware release (and would, I think, want to do so). If it's in the editor, that should be fixable as well, assuming that the authors of the software care enough.

A third possibility, much less likely than the other two, is that the lens has successfully fooled the camera into thinking that it's really a Canon lens. I suppose Canon would want to fix that too, but it might be more of an undertaking. If it required a change to how their lens reports itself, older copies of that lens would presumably be mis-identified in the future.

I think your third possibility is far and way the most likely explanation.  The lens is fooling the camera.  The camera does not contain a database of every lens ever made.  The lens identifies itself to the camera body.

I’d bet if you tried the lens on a different body, you would get the same result.

"A third possibility, much less likely than the other two, ..."

Glad you opined, "much less likely", Robert because that is nonsense.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements