cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 and image stableiziation

BigJake93
Contributor

Hey yall im looking at the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 as a starter lens for nature photograghy and maybe a decent travel lens. I would love to here any feed back on this lens and also if imige stableization is a must or not at least at fist. Its like a two or three hundred dollar differices and im tryin to stay cheap but also want an alright lens.

23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BigJake,

I am going to guess you are considering the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens. I am also going to guess you already have a camera and lens. It is probably the standard lens that comes with a Rebel camera?  Perhaps the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens?  Or, possibly a similar lens, correct?

I will also guess your only other photographic device is your iphone?  Yes?

If this is the case the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens will serve you well.  It is probably one of, or maybe even, the most common tele zooms made.  It is a little on the fragile side so don't handle it too roughly.

BTW, don't read any of the reviews of this or any Rebel kit lenses. Reviews and real world ability is usually worlds apart.  The ability of this caliber of lenses to accomplish their goal and mission is proven by their continued popularity. Is it the best lens available?  No, of course not, but it doesn't cost like the worlds best lens either.  Get one and use it and don't look back.  It is fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

However, at 300 mm the IS is really nice. So If you can swing the extra bucks go with the 70-300.

"...at 300 mm the IS is really nice"

Absolutely. Smiley Happy  Totally.  Really nice to have on these very slow lenses but where do you draw the line?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

With your checkbook.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements