cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 and image stableiziation

BigJake93
Contributor

Hey yall im looking at the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 as a starter lens for nature photograghy and maybe a decent travel lens. I would love to here any feed back on this lens and also if imige stableization is a must or not at least at fist. Its like a two or three hundred dollar differices and im tryin to stay cheap but also want an alright lens.

23 REPLIES 23

"The EF 75-300 has such marginal image quality you are better off being limited to the 250mm of the STM lens and cropping, you'll still end up with better IQ."

Sounds like it's not the lens for you!  But than again you are not asking the question.  Are you?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The EF 75-300 has such marginal image quality you are better off being limited to the 250mm of the STM lens and cropping, you'll still end up with better IQ."

Sounds like it's not the lens for you!  But than again you are not asking the question.  Are you?

Here Re: DSLR 101 : ebiggs1 wrote:  

I was trying to hold back and not burst your bubble but the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll is not a very good lens.  I don't care how many letters it has after its name. 

"... the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll is not a very good lens.  I don't care how many letters it has after its name."

It all must be taken in context.  Don't be silly.  I would not buy it and possibly you would not buy one but that has nothing to do with this OP or his question.  That first OP was "L" lens crazy as I recall.  People are different and their needs and requirements are different.  For the general user the kit set up is just fine.  Canon has proved that time and time again for years.  The Rebel and its lenses are King.

By far and away the vast majority of the people in my DSLR 101 classes have that combo.  They are perfectly happy and have no intention of moving up.  This is what I meant when I tell you there is a difference between inner web users that are readers and people that actually do this stuff.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll is not a very good lens.  I don't care how many letters it has after its name."

It all must be taken in context.

The link to the post where you said that was there and here for anyone to see the 'context'.

Yes, if someone got the EF 75-300 lens with their camera and is happy with it, there is no reason to upgrade.

But, for someone who doesn't already have a telephoto zoom lens, there are far better, yet still reasonably priced options. 

Here is an example of the EF 75-300mm III USM lens with a T5. 

IMG_2015_07_230140.Clear.png

Here is a closeup of a window.

IMG_2015_07_230140.Clear.Cropped_200.png

The purple fringing is called CA, Chromatic Aberration.  With some lenses, it will be green.  It is caused when light of different frequencies [colors] do not all align on the same plane of focus across the image sensor. 

Basically, this is a result of a lens that is not sharp.  Edges will look blurred, or even discolored as in this example. The distortion is most pronounced along edges of high contrast, like the window.

Here is a shot taken with the 55-250mm lens, using a Rebel T5 camera.

IMG_2015_07_120201.jpg

I was experimenting with depth-of-field.  This was handheld, which I am not good at doing.  The foreground and background flowers are out of focus, which is exactly what I was looking to do.  I had to adjust my distance to the flowers to get this result.  I liked the way this turned out. 

Both of these shots have very little post processing.  Notice how much less CA the shot taken with the 55-250mm lens has.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"It all must be taken in context."

You are either a very bored man or you just like to argue.  You are the winner!  OK, now are you happy and can leave it.

I suppose the OP has tired of this anyway.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It all must be taken in context."

You are either a very bored man or you just like to argue.  You are the winner!  OK, now are you happy and can leave it.

I suppose the OP has tired of this anyway.

Am I missing something, Ernie? Aren't you the one who said that (in your 5:20 PM post)?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

There is a fine line between a discussion and an argument.  I believe we passed the discussion point.  He made his and I made mine.  There is an end to it.  Don't you think?  Oh no, that isn't another argument starting is it?  Smiley Wink

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

There is a fine line between a discussion and an argument.  I believe we passed the discussion point.  He made his and I made mine.  There is an end to it.  Don't you think?  Oh no, that isn't another argument starting is it?  Smiley Wink

Nope. I've had a long day, and I'm off to bed. Even with the revised train schedule, I have to get up at 5:00 AM.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@BigJake93 wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

What lenses do you already have?

I have the 18-55mm and a 50mm 1.8 prime

I would still advise the 55-250 IS STM someone suggested above.  It closes the hole that you would have, in the very useful 55-75mm range, if you decided to go with the 75-300mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements