cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L or the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens for fashion / beauty?

MissKyami
Apprentice

I'm debating between the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I primarily plan to shoot close ups of makeup (sharp detail is very important) and 3/4 - full body shots of fashion. Would either lens be more suited to my needs? Would the versatility of the 70-200mm come at the cost of sharpness up close?

Thank you for your help!

12 REPLIES 12

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

The 2 lens you are looking at I have, although I do not take that many of the same genre of photography I am curious, the distance from the subject will always be the predominate factor.

I am curious if you really need a zoom of that magnitude unless you are really far away, or with the 100mm if you are that close.

I would be looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

For versatility

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MissKyami wrote:

I'm debating between the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. I primarily plan to shoot close ups of makeup (sharp detail is very important) and 3/4 - full body shots of fashion. Would either lens be more suited to my needs? Would the versatility of the 70-200mm come at the cost of sharpness up close?

Thank you for your help!

For 3/4 to full body shots, either of those lenses [100mm or 70-200mm] are going to require for you to be some distance from your subjects with a full frame camera, and even further with an APS-C sensor camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Anyone with both lenses and a willing model care to shoot some close ups tomorrow using both lenses, and post?  Maybe I will, if I don't eat too much turkey and enjoy too much wine.  I have never photographed anyone using the 70-200 with the front element 3 feet from someone's face.  My daughter would wonder if I've finally gone nuts. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements