cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephoto for 80D

scottwheeler
Contributor

Just got a new 80D so I can capture sporting event photos for my high school kids.  I am an amateur photographer.  Need telephoto for football, baseball, softball and basketball.  Two questions:

1. What are best options?
  2. Are there resources for finding used lenses?
20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1.  There are no "one size fits all" best options.  You've just scratched the surface of why there is such a variety of lenses.  If there is such a thing as an "all-purpose sports lens", which there isn't, it would have to be one of Canon's four 70-200mm "L" series lenses.  The range of focal lengths for those lenses are ideal for a full frame camera body, but not quite so ideal for the APS-C sensor body 80D.  A good budget choice would be one of Canon's EF-S 55-250mm lenses.

2.  From a purist point of view, there is no such thing as a good used lens.  There are too many things that can go wrong with a  used lens: i.e.: like mold and mildew, which can creep into your camera body and infect all of your lenses.  Hands down, the best resource for Canon lenses is the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  There are some reputable dealers of used gear, but none of them will give you a one year warranty like Canon will give you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" From a purist point of view, there is no such thing as a good used lens."

No different than buying a used car or an used anything.  There are lemons everywhere and there are great deals.  It's up to you to determine which is which.  I have sold many, dozens of lenses used.  I usually ask half price.  Some are used for no more than a week.  Box, accessories and all papers still intact and included.

"...no such thing as a good used lens", the folks I have sold them to seem to be very happy.  I am happy as it furthers my hobby.  Win, win !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

scottwheeler
Contributor
Thank you. I got the EFS 55-250 with my camera. I'm just curious to see how it works for action in bad light.

@scottwheeler wrote:
Thank you. I got the EFS 55-250 with my camera. I'm just curious to see how it works for action in bad light.

Canon makes four "L" series versions of the 70-200mm lens.  All of them have constant apertures.  There are two with f/4 apertures, which cost less than the two with f/2.8 apertures.  The difference between the two f/4 lenses is that one lacks Image Stabilization, while the other f/4 has Image Stabilization and a more rugged build.  

The least expensive is the non-IS f/4 model,  which has a list price that is 1/3 the price of the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  I think would be pleased with any of them, especially the non-IS f/2.8 model.  There is nothing wrong with the non-IS models.  But, the top of the line model that keeps being mentioned is a really fantastic lens.  

Check out the prices of all four them at Canon Online Refurbished Store.  If a lens that you like is not in stock, be patient.  It will likely come back in stock within a month or two.  I have not seen the extenders in stock in over year's time.

For shooting sports played on a large field, your shooting location definitely makes a difference.  Knowledge of the game is a big plus.  Showing your photos to athletes,, and learning what types of shots capture their interests will teach you the most.  The athletes themselves can tell you what the best shot angles are to capture their sports.  Ask your son what types of fantasy action shots does he want to see of himself.  I have no doubt that his answers will be enlightening.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

@scottwheeler wrote:

Just got a new 80D so I can capture sporting event photos for my high school kids.  I am an amateur photographer.  Need telephoto for football, baseball, softball and basketball.  Two questions:

1. What are best options?
  2. Are there resources for finding used lenses?

If money is not a factor, I'd recommend a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II USM lens...best sports and wild life medium range telephoto lens ever made (thus far).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Need telephoto for football, baseball, softball and basketball.  Two questions:"

Two questions? Two problems!  One lens could be used here until you said basketball.  The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens would do nicely for all except basketball.  The best lens for basketball is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.

So are you ready to drop four grand on lenses?  You wanted the best.  There they are!

A single lens that can work, do a reasonably good job might be the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens plus a 1.4x tele converter.  I rarely suggest a converter but it does work well with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  That is a more manageable $2400.

There are two third party lenses in this category that offer the same focal lengths and a tele converter.  Approx. $1500 for the lens and converter.  If you go this route stick with the same brand for lens and converter.

Your EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens can work.  It will struggle to get sharp photos in basketball, however.  It will not handle a tele converter well either for football.  You may want to give that lens a try first so you get a feel for what is required.

Now for the most important thing which you failed to mention.  Location?  Where will you be shooting from.  That is the most important part of the camera/lens equation.  You really can't recommend a 'best' lens until that is known.  Sideline good, bleachers bad.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes. Had you not said basketball, which is played indoors, you'd have had a much easier task.   Lenses that let more light into the camera are more expensive. For sports you need a fast shutter to freeze fast action, but that means there is little time for light to get in so you need a larger aperture (lower f/stop). 

I tend to agree withErnie on a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II  plus the 1.4x teleconverter. I have both and they work well. 

I also agree with with the idea that you can't just sit in the bleachers and get great shots. For one thing all your shots will look the same and you'll not have the right setup for the maximum drama of a particular moment in the game. For purposes of lens selection, though, getting closer can make the difference between needing an affordable 200-300mm and needing an expensive 600mm. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you.  I will most likely take photos from sideline and maybe some in the stands.

I use a Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6 VC USD
I have taken photos from the stands and on the field. Although 70mm can be a problem when the action is close to you.
The cost of the Tamron new for less than $500.00
No not good for basketball to slow F stop.
Announcements