cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teleconverter for 600D with Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM?

CgRay
Contributor
I've been reading that 2x teleconverters aren't that great. That they can cause a lot of image quality loss as well as slowing down or even stopping auto focus from working altogether. What do I need to know about teleconverters to make an educated purchase?

Thanks,
Cg.
Canon 6D,Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Sigma 1.4 x EX DG Teleconverter, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake, Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM, Pentax 400mm f/5.6
3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

This is the best info I know of.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41922

Adding a 2X to an f2.8 lens will still allow Af on most bodies because you're now an f5.6 lens. It may degrade the image a bit depending on the specific TC so do your homework before shopping.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Anytime you add anything into the light path of any lens, you are going to degrade the image quality. Now, that may be a slight or it can be a significant loss.

I have always subscribed to using the original manufacturers accessories and in this case I still think so.

Sigma makes two tele converters that will work with your lens. Both are designed for your lens and retain all features including AF.

The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM is of such high quality it has room to give up a small amount of IQ, introduced by the tele converter, and still be better that some 70-200mm without one.

Another consideration is how big do you intend to make the prints? Do you use a tripod?

So you must weigh all the factors of IQ and cost plus slower AFetcand decide if it is for you.

I recommend the 1.4x over the 2x, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ cicopo. Thank you. That's a hell of a lot of information.

@ ebiggs1. Thank you also for your insight. From the information I have researched so far, I was leaning towards the sigma 1.4.

I'm not buying for a while, so I have plenty of time to learn more.

Canon 6D,Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Sigma 1.4 x EX DG Teleconverter, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake, Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM, Pentax 400mm f/5.6
Announcements