cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLRs: Any issues???

scottjg24
Contributor

I am looking at Tamron's SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC telephoto zoom lens and I've read some of the reviews people left on B&H's web site in regards to slow focus and lens creep.  Now I have read, a good 8-9 years ago, that some of Tamron's older lenses had these issues like their 18-270mm general purpose zoom lens from Popular Photography & Shutterbug magazines.

I would like to know if any of you guys, who own this particular Tamron lens, have any issues.  If no issues, please let me know the positive attributes of it.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't have that lens.  I use a couple of others.  But, lens creep is something that you learn to cope with on some big lenses.  The best way for me is to try to keep the camera/lens level, as much as is possible.  A tripod/monopod can help in this regard. 

I don't use my big lenses in the middle of their range as much as I use the shortest, or longest, focal lengths.  Shots taken in the middle of the focal range are usually a result of my starting at the low end, and zooming in on a moving subject.  When I'm composing shots on a tripod, lens creep is not an issue.

I guess it really depends upon the lens, as to how "creepy", or loose, it actually is.  One of the worst that I have used for lens creep has been the EF-S 18-135.  But, I've learned to carry the camera around level, so that creep is not an issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In general third party lenses are a crap shoot.  Especially the older ones.  They are a never buy a used type thing and be careful what new ones you are considering.  The Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC is one to avoid.  If you must get this type lens get the real deal Canon version but personally I would avoid it too.

Now that said there are some third party lenses that are not just good, they are very good. They rival some of Canon's own.

An example of an outstanding lens duo is the Tamron pair 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 (current versions only!)  Sigma makes this combo, too, and it is very good as well.

It is best to avoid any zoom lens that has a7x, 8x, 9x or 10x or even more zoom ratios.  Even Canon's own, but if you must, stick with Canon here.  Zomm ratios in the 2x, 3x or even 4x are best.

So to answer your question, "... who own this particular Tamron lens, have any issues."  I would never 'own' this lens because it does have many 'issues'.

"... please let me know the positive attributes of it."  Easy, there are none!

A big and important point to remember is, Canon does not tell anyone or let anybody know how thier cameras work.  Therefore all third party lens makers "guess" how Canon does it.  Sometime they guess correctly and sometimes they don't.

The latest and most expensive Sigma lenses have a USB Dock just so you can make adjustments to the lens just in case.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements