cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron 150-600mm lens

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Looking for a telephoto lens for a T7. Found a 150-600mm Tamron lens. Several on eBay selling for about one grand.  Anyone familiar with this brand? Reviews on a couple of websites are five stars.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1, closest camera store is 160 miles away. For wildlife photography, it is mentioned to have autofocus as critters tend to move a lot. Learning to use the autofocus to keep an object focused such as birds in flight.

Don't know of anyone who would be beyond the basics. Like to find a class at a local community college but the virus has put a lot of things on hold for now.

Part of the fun of learning is "playing" with different settings in different lighting, cloudy, shade, etc. I spent about three hours at a local wildlife area scouting for turkeys plus taking about 80 photos to study. Tried one RAW photo on DPP and it came out great.

Thanks for your reply.

John

My goal for you or anybody that asks for suggestions or opinions is their continued success.  Some questions asked by new people to photography triggers alerts in some of us old veterans. I never discourage folks from doing what they think is best or what they want to do but on the other hand a few warnings may help them become more successful.

When I tell you the super zooms are big and heavy and take some learning that is just a hint that it isn't a pick it up and run with it lens. You know what is coming right up front.  You can find a lot of these lenses that are nearly new for sale on the used market from folks that didn't realize what they were getting into.  The Siggy I suggested to you on eBay was one of those. The guy bought it found out he either didn't use it enough or it wasn't easy enough to use and it sit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EB, again thanks for your comments. Too old to run with a lens. Might walk slow a bit, though. I realize there is still a lot to learn. That is the reason I joined the community. Got some of the basics but want to keep going beyond the basics. I'm reading DSLR for Dummies for the third time. Plowing through the 318 pages of the T7 manual.

FWIW, when I was taking photos of sandhill cranes at a local wildlife area, I saw a couple of guys who had lenses the size of a 16 lb. Napoleon cannon. I was watching a baseball game last night. One fellow sitting behind home plate had a huge lens. I guess if you are a pro, the cost is more of an investment.

John

"I guess if you are a pro, the cost is more of an investment."

A lot, perhaps most, of those guys do not own the big white Canon lenses.  They can easily cost more than $10,000 bucks. I have one a 600mm f4 that I bought way back but rarely to never use it.  The Sigma S 150-600mm lens I have now is just too much easier to use and handle. And for the last 20 years or so I have not had any professional need for such a lens. My big Siggy is just for my own pleasure use.

This is where the money is...............

_OS12313-Edit.jpg

Senior photos.................................

not here! ....................................

_52D1519.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Photos are to accompany magazine or media articles. Outdoor writing gets me out in the bushes and woods and on the water. Not really interested in portraits. BTW, been looking at a new Sigma lens 150-600 for $799. Found two used lenses- one had no return and other had 6 month warranty for "Good" condition and a 30 day return. Both under $500.

John
Announcements